I have a Seagate Internal HD where i have "windows xp" installed that isn't working properly due to shock however i can still turn it on but it only shows up a blank black screen and doesn't go no where. So i had to put it in an external enclosure with my other "windows xp" PC . Doing that I can access folders like "programs" and "windows" and "guest documents" however what i cannot do is try to go inside the owner/admistrator folder because i get the message "access denied- this folder is unaccessible". When i go to "properities" it says it has 0 bytes however when i click on the "hard drive icon" itself it says it does have almost all the 120 GB I have saved on the administrators account. I already tried running it on safe mode but it just restarts over and over and doesn't go through.

So please tell me how can I possibly recover files (only want to recover few very important documents only) where windows is installed and I am not getting premission to check the "owner/adminstrators" folder and documents.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

You need to take ownership of the file first.

To do this you must be logged into the machine you are using as the administartor.

Then right click the folder and select properties > security > advanced.

Select the OWNER tab click edit select administrators check the check box to replace owner on all subfolder then click apply ok and ok;

If this works you may need to replicate these setting to all sub folder so you dont have to repeat this task on each folder.

You need to take ownership of the file first.

To do this you must be logged into the machine you are using as the administartor.

Then right click the folder and select properties > security > advanced.

Select the OWNER tab click edit select administrators check the check box to replace owner on all subfolder then click apply ok and ok;

If this works you may need to replicate these setting to all sub folder so you dont have to repeat this task on each folder.

I have tried this but still get the message ""access denied- owner folder is unaccessible". So it must be something else. I believe because of shock the owner folder documents are unaccessible but the others folder can get still into.

Please suggest me on what other method I should try?

If that's the case im not sure what this could be or what to do. You check that the folder is not encrypted and that you are logged in as the administrator and the real administrator not the visit admin attribute.

im not sure if this will help but good luck.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.