I recently moved my Dell Dimension 4400 with Windows XP Home edition. Upon reconnecting everything, I had some issues. The first was I could not get a monitor signal. I opened up the tower and seated the video card firmly in the slot (I guess it got jiggled loose upon disconnection). First problem solved. (I mention this only to demonstrate what physical actions I took between computer working and not working, lol. I know all you tech people ask first thing: "What did you do?")

The other problem is that I do not have access to the internet. My DSL modem has only 2 LEDs lit - so I know it has power and it is sending to the computer. The 3rd LED is out which means the modem is not RECEIVING info from the computer. The first thing I tried to do was to go to my Network Connections screen. There were no icons! So I tried to create one. The computer couldn't find the NIC. I also tried rebooting in "Last Known Good Configuration" - still no NIC or internet connection.

When I looked in Device Manager, I got a LOT of yellow ! marks under the heading "Unknown Device". I removed them all and rebooted the computer.
Upon restart, the computer found new hardware, but everytime it installs it, I get the yellow !s. I am down to two "unknown devices": Intel(r) PRO/100+ Management Adapter and WAN Miniport (ATW).

I know the WAN Miniport is an AOL thing (don't ask - I can't bear to give up my AOL address so I log on for email purposes only via TCP/IP). Unfortunately, I do not have a CD from DELL with all my drivers. I have, however, downloaded what I hope is the correct driver here at work and I will copy to a CD and take home. I also will change out my internet cables (the cat has chewed through the insulation of my current one, although, it worked just fine only hours prior to this event).

I really don't understand how this happened. The only other thing that is different is I had a small hub attached to the computer. This was from when I had two other comps running on a network (no longer have the other two computers, but this one remained hooked up to the hub anyhow). Upon hooking up this time, I decided to run a cable right from the DSL modem to the NIC. However, I did try to go through the hub to see if that made a difference and it did not.

Sorry so long, I wanted to provide all needed info. Any thoughts or ideas?

~Kar

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Im looking at some stuff about the dell 4400 and if i am correct it does not have integrated nic (built in to the motherboard) and that it comes as a pci slot card. If your graphics card came loose during the move chances are some other things did too and i would bet that might be the problem

Im looking at some stuff about the dell 4400 and if i am correct it does not have integrated nic (built in to the motherboard) and that it comes as a pci slot card. If your graphics card came loose during the move chances are some other things did too and i would bet that might be the problem

Yes, you are correct, the NIC is in a pci slot. I thought of that as well and tore the cover off again last night. I confirmed that it was firmly in place. I spent 2 hours on the phone last night with Dell. We went through all sorts of stupid exercises (the guy was clearly reading from a book). We tried system restore (which didn't work b/c I had turned that off a couple of weeks ago to get more speed in IE), looking for the card in the BIOS and then he wanted me to d/l the driver from their website. Duh, I don't have internet access! I tried explaining that I had copied the driver onto a cd while at work and installing it, but it still doesn't work.

The computer knows it's an Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter, but puts it under the heading "Unknown Device" and with the yellow! Dell's final suggestion was that my mother board was bad. oh please - I hardly think that's the case. But could the comm port be bad??????

Someone from another board suggested I download and reinstall the chipset drivers? What are they?

Update:
I switched the NIC into another slot, still device conflict under "unknown". I also cannot log on using dial up (granted this is only with AOL, I have not tried another ISP that maybe won't use the WAN Miniport (ATW)). I was on the phone with AOL four times last night for over 3 hours. We reinstalled AOL over and over (different versions), fooled around with connectivity settings, all to no avail. When I finally mentioned Device Manager (notice, I had to be the one to bring it up), they told me it was Dell's problem and hung up on me.

I have been on Dell's forum - about 4-5 other people are having this same problem. No one knows the answer. I wish it would happen here at work (we use Dells) so a "real" IT person will fix it - rather than these idiots reading from a book and praising me everytime I click on the correct icon. ;-)

Update:
I gave in and did a reformat and reinstallation of Windows. I hope no one else ever gets this problem!!

Update:
I gave in and did a reformat and reinstallation of Windows. I hope no one else ever gets this problem!!

did the format reinstall solve your problem? or did you do a windows repair? I have a linksys pci 54g wireless card that stoped working one day for no reason, but i just said forget it and ive been using my xbox's wireless adaptor on my computer. Mine recognizes it is a network adaptor but wont install the drivers that i give it from the linksys disk :(...if its only a windows repair ill give it a shot...is that what you did?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.