Hi,got a problem with the monitor on the thinkpad ,its gone totally dark ,you can see the display if you look rally close in bright lit room .
I can get it to display when plugged into my computer monitor ,but only when in safe mode.when i boot up with it connected to my monitor it shows the win XP starting up but goes black when the winxp welcome screen comes up and stays black when winxp loads fully ,it has a Active matrix lcd monitor ,i searched and read but don't totally under stand ,dos anyone know if this type has a florcesent light source or does the definition of active matrix mean it creates its own light , and i have to replace the monitor ,and not just a light stick thingie,or could it be the intel video display chipset ,any insite would help ,Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

no ideas ,or info for me !??????????????????

Hi,got a problem with the monitor on the thinkpad ,its gone totally dark ,you can see the display if you look rally close in bright lit room .
I can get it to display when plugged into my computer monitor ,but only when in safe mode.when i boot up with it connected to my monitor it shows the win XP starting up but goes black when the winxp welcome screen comes up and stays black when winxp loads fully ,it has a Active matrix lcd monitor ,i searched and read but don't totally under stand ,dos anyone know if this type has a florcesent light source or does the definition of active matrix mean it creates its own light , and i have to replace the monitor ,and not just a light stick thingie,or could it be the intel video display chipset ,any insite would help ,Thanks

Excuse me asking this but is the machine running on a P2 or P3 processor.

The reason behind my asking this is that I too have an IBM thinkpad machine but mine is a P2 also running win xp (pro). about a month ago i had a very similar problem whereby i went to turn my machine on and all the lights etc came on and it booted ok. the only problem was a dark screen. At first i thought that the backlight had gone and shone a torch at the screen. there was definately an image there. I also hooked it upto an external monitor where it worked up until the same stage as yours did. however after turning the machine off and leaving it on charge all day i came back to it later in the day and found that it started up, screen and everything and there appeared to be nothing wrong with it.

What i am trying to say is have you not used your laptop for a while. reason being that a laptop screen is fairly much like a mobile phone screen, whereby in the sense that if there is not enough power in the battery to power the backlight in the screen it will not come on. you may get some life out the rest of it but because the screen is the more power consuming item you wont get much out of it.

best thing to do is give it a good 6-7 hours on the charger like i did and then see what happens. if you still fail to have any joy then best to have it looked at. I wouldn't personally rule out the chipset, but judging by the symptoms you describe the active matrix (fluro) backlight may have gone. if this is the case get a new laptop as a new active matrix will cost you more then the price of a new laptop. when mine went i spoke to the PC clinic at my local PC world store and they said it would have to be sent away and the cost would be about £400. is it really worth it when you can get a new one for £399.

hope this is of help to you. let me know what happens.:cool:

thanks for the responce ,first its not mine ,so im not sure how oftern its used ,but i think daily,second its a Celeron 1.1 m,

thanks for the responce ,first its not mine ,so im not sure how oftern its used ,but i think daily,second its a Celeron 1.1 m,

no problem, just noticed a couple of spelling errors in 'response' and 'often':)

no problem, just noticed a couple of spelling errors in 'response' and 'often':)

You must be an English Teacher ,who like computers !:)
Actually ,I'm not the worlds best speller,Its because I also have dyslexia.and 47 yrs ago when I started school they really didn't know how to or didn't bother helping people like Me. :)

You must be an English Teacher ,who like computers !:)
Actually ,I'm not the worlds best speller,Its because I also have dyslexia.and 47 yrs ago when I started school they really didn't know how to or didn't bother helping people like Me. :)

uh... sorry if i caused offence there. slapping myself :o . no im not an english teacher worse luck. they get paid better then what i do. In fact im a security officer with a flair for taking apart and rebuilding the clients computers (only when they go down though). there's no IT support where i work.:)

speaking of which did you try what i said with the laptop, about plugging it in on charge and just leaving it. any results? :cool:

uh... sorry if i caused offence there. slapping myself :o . no im not an english teacher worse luck. they get paid better then what i do. In fact im a security officer with a flair for taking apart and rebuilding the clients computers (only when they go down though). there's no IT support where i work.:)

speaking of which did you try what i said with the laptop, about plugging it in on charge and just leaving it. any results? :cool:

Ha,Thats ok, I was only kidding about part of it [its only been 46 yrs ]
I gave the laptop back to it owner ,so I don't know if that worked ,thanks for you help .

Ha,Thats ok, I was only kidding about part of it [its only been 46 yrs ]
I gave the laptop back to it owner ,so I don't know if that worked ,thanks for you help .

thats ok, may be something to bear in mind if you get another one like that though.

take care.:)

thats ok, may be something to bear in mind if you get another one like that though.

take care.:)

Will do ,its stored in memory bank 01,in address FFFFFFForget :)

Will do ,its stored in memory bank 01,in address FFFFFFForget :)

hehehe :D i like that 1. sounds like me most of the time.

halu... i'm juz going to ask if you also know about this. whenever i use microsoft office, the screen starts blinking... itz causing me a headache. itz ibm thinkpad laptop

halu... i'm juz going to ask if you also know about this. whenever i use microsoft office, the screen starts blinking... itz causing me a headache. itz ibm thinkpad laptop

hello,please don't use chat speak ,I don't use chat programs ,and don't like reading chat shorthand ,thanks.
Ok ,so the display only blinks when you use microsoft office ,doesn't blink any other time .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.