Hi

I have a 40gb hard drive in my new machine that is running Win XP Pro - I have another hard drive 20gb (which was from my old PC) which I have formatted, and connected to my new PC, it is labelled: F

I have changed the jumpers so that F is the slave.

I would like to be able to have another copy of XP (or Win 98) on the 20gb hard drive, and then be able to dual boot either of the operating sytems.

I am not too sure how to go about this! I was thinking of changing the boot order so that the CDROM booted (before the hard drive primary) in the BIOS. Then I was going to stick the Win98 or XP disc in the CD ROM and install the OS onto F.

Would I have to disconnect my 40gb Win XP drive first? - and just have the 20gb drive connected to the PC (as the master). Then when the install was complete (on F) could I then reconnect my 40gb WinXp and everything will be ok?

If anybody could help me with this task, or offer any suggestions I would be really very grateful.

Cheers

Mark P (UK)

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Most computer systems allow you to select an alternate boot drive (F12). This is usually done when you want to boot from the CD-ROM; to install the operating system.

If you are going to install a second copy of the Windows XP operating systems on the slave drive, all you need to do is place the Windows XP on the CD-ROM drive, during boot up press F12 the system will prompt you to select from a list of devices, select the CD-ROM and proceed to install.

When prompted to install in the hard drive the installation program will look for a previous Windows XP installation; the one you have on C: and will ask you if you want to repair the installation, press ESC key and then select from the list of the two drives: F: drive as the disk you want to install the operating system.

The program will ask you if you want to format the drive; for a clean installation, select quick format, and proceed with the installation. Make sure you don’t have data that you require on the drive; you will loose it when the quick format is completed.

Once is completed the program will create a boot file with two identical Windows XP entries, the first entry will be your last installation, and the second will be your C: drive. You can change the default operating system C: or F: via the control panel System Icon, Advance Tab, Settings. There you can set the default start up operating system.

A piece of advice you can install Windows XP over Windows 98 since it was create afterwards. However you cannot install Windows 98 as a second operating system over Windows XP. You will loose all Windows drive markers, and you will not be able to access Windows XP unless you are familiar with the Boot.ini and other startup files required by Windows XP.

You installation sequence would need to be: Windows 98, ME, 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003: Previous generation operating systems are not retro-fit to create the correct boot entries for subsequent operating systems.

Thanks Chipstone - I do not seem to have the F12 option on my PC, is there another way around this?
MarkP

You must have another function key in order to boot-up from the CD-ROM in my Dell Workstation is F2 (to enter Bios) and F12 (To access CD-ROM) check your manual or during boot-up and see if the screen.

You must have the option, otherwise how can you get into Bios or how did you install the first Windows on C:

Let me know, if not, there is another way you can install a dual Windows XP from within Windows:

To start a second Windows install from Windows without the F12 boot-sequence:

Insert the Windows CD in the CD-ROM from the desktop. The CD will autorun, else go to My Computer, the CD-ROM drive and double click on the "SETUP.EXE" file. The install will begin.

The "WELCOME" screen will appear first, select "INSTALL WINDOWS XP" by clicking on it with the mouse. Windows will now gather some information from your computer.

Now you will be asked which type of install you want. Select "NEW INSTALLATION", click on "NEXT" to continue.

Now the License Agreement, read it and click on "I ACCEPT" and click on "NEXT" to continue.

Now it is time for your product key. The product key will be on the packaging that XP was supplied with. It is 25 digits long. Some OEM computers will have a sticker on the side or back with your product key. Input the key and press "NEXT".

Now the Setup Options: Click on Advance Options, and select the box where it states you want to control were windows will install, and if you want, you can check the box that copies the installation program to you hard drive: This option will copy the CD-Rom files to your C: drive and can speed up the installation. It’s optional, otherwise during re-boot the program will continue to install from the CD-ROM.

If you need a Magnifier or the Microsoft Narrator to assist install, select now, else click OK to continue. Now change the default language settings if you need to. Click "NEXT" to continue.

Now you have the option to download Updated Setup files, if you want to and you are connected to the net, then click "YES" and press "NEXT". This is not necessary, so if you want to cut the install time, then click "NO" and press "NEXT".

Windows will now prepare the installation. If you selected “copy installation files to the hard drive, this process will begin, and otherwise Setup will now prepare to restart the computer.

Boot will recognize that the XP installation on the CD or the hard drive depending on your original selection if you DO NOT press any keys, let setup bypass the CD boot.

Setup will now inspect your computer hardware and configuration.
Setup now prepares your computer for install.

From this menu press "ENTER" to begin the install.

Windows XP License agreements, scroll down and press “F8 to continue.
Your previous install will be located in C: press "ESC" to continue the parallel install in F: drive. Now use the up and down arrow keys to select the partition you want to install into: Select F:

Press "ENTER" once selected to continue.

Windows will now ask you to confirm the install. If you are satisfied with your decision then press "C". Now you will be asked if you wish to format the drive, select "Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick) and press "ENTER" and then setup will begin to copy files. Setup now initializes the Windows XP configuration.

Continue the installation normally and when finished and boot-up the computer screen will display the dual operating system entries.

That procedure will also work if you change boot order in BIOS, boot from the Windows CD and install from there.

All you need do is ensure that you choose the partition to install the new Windows installation to, and the multi-boot menu will be created automatically as part of the installation.

Note, however, that this will only occur if you install anither instance of XP. If Win 98 is the other version wanted it should be installed on the system first, and then XP added later.

That procedure will also work if you change boot order in BIOS, boot from the Windows CD and install from there.

All you need do is ensure that you choose the partition to install the new Windows installation to, and the multi-boot menu will be created automatically as part of the installation.

Note, however, that this will only occur if you install anither instance of XP. If Win 98 is the other version wanted it should be installed on the system first, and then XP added later.

I believe you suggestion was encapsulated in response # 2.

Most, if not all new computer system allows to select the boot sequence via a hot-key; usually F12 without the need to rearrange the BIOS boot order.

Hello Chipstone!

Thanks for your help again, I do have the option to enter the BIOS (by pressing "Del" during boot up - so I will change the boot order in there so I can boot from the CDROM (which will have the Wix XP disc inside), and then I should be fine.

Thanks again - you have been a great help :)

Mark P

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.