I'm thinking about buying a AMD Athlon 64 3000+ socket 939 processor for a computer i'll be putting together. When looking at the specs the FSB did not have a number but instead said "integrated into chip". I'm not sure what that means and not sure what kind of RAM and motherboard would go along with that processor. Could anyone explain this to me? Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

The Athlon 64 doesn't have a FSB as the memory controler is integrated into te CPU. For a choice of motherboards go to http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/index.html. I don't have any experience with the Athlon 64, but from what I've seen you need PC3200 memory. Motherboard manufactures usually have a list of recommended memory as well.

Athlon64s have "Hypertransport" links on the motherboard for communication between components. However, there is an fsb of sorts for determining the CPU's operating frequency.

In agreement with Coconut Monkey. Although there is actually no 'front side bus' on these processors, there are still clockspeed and multiplier settings used to set the processor speed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.