Hey,

I really hope you can help me on this. Recently I bought a cheap Laptop Toshiba Tecra A4 at Ebay. It was said there is a hard drive defect only...it's not.

When I try to switch the laptop on the lamps go on and the DVD drive starts to spin..everything normal. But then after about 3 seconds it switches off before it can reach the bootscreen - like I would remove the power cable.
The very weird thing is that sometimes, let's say every 1 of 15 tries the laptop starts like it should and boots up from my linux live-CD. Then I can work for hours and nothing bad happens ... until I want to switch it on again. Then the game starts from the very beginning.

I already tried to:

- remove the defect hard disk
- remove the power cable only
- remove only the battery
- replace the RAM or use only one of the two
- to remove both RAM
- remove the power cable and the battery overnight to reset the CMOS

...nothing changed.

I would be very pleased if anyone could help me. So far I found only unanswered forum entries with that problem in the WWW - so at least, I am not the only one going mad :-)

Thanks a lot

lavalspatz

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

do not want to scare you but you should also try again with cables.
You say that only the battery does not work?
When I think is a short circuit somewhere. Perhaps it's related to opening and closing the DVD. Reach there and do something soon?
Who knows?

Hey thanks for trying to help me :-)

Its seems like you got me wrong. The described effect happens all the time. It doesn't matter if only the battery or only the power cable or both together are connected - so I assume the power support itself is ok.
I just tried out if the problem is related to the DVD drive. I switched the laptop on with the DVD lid open, with empty and closed DVD and with an loaded drive. No positive effect either.

I can add that in 1 of maybe 50 the laptop doesn't switch off after 3 seconds but the fan starts to be pretty loud and the system holds before boot screen and stays like this until I turn it off.

Any more ideas?

do not want to scare you but you should also try again with cables.
You say that only the battery does not work?
When I think is a short circuit somewhere. Perhaps it's related to opening and closing the DVD. Reach there and do something soon?
Who knows?

Hi,
I can only suggest a very good internal clean of all fans and contacts. If you can dismantle the machine without doing any damage, then strip it to the bare shell and clean anything and everything you can get to. If you can run the machine in this state, try, and apply slight pressure on different points of the motherboard as it boots. There may be a simple bad connection that is connected when the machine is held in a different way. The fact that it will start (1 in 50) shows that everything works sometimes, but to find what is not working (49 in 50) could be very hard. I would suggest a service tech or buy another.

Hi,
Thank you for sharing information in the blog. I will pass this blog to my friends and hope someone will get benefit from it. Keep it up.

Regard . Pariuri sportive

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.