Hello All, This is my first time on here. I just started building a computer, I have an ASUS A7V600 motherboard and a Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton", AGP video card, 80GB hard drive, 512mb ram, copper heat sink
Ok that said, i had no problems initially, the computer started was able to get into bios and monitor temp and change whatever I wanted.
Tried installing Windows 2000, got an error message and the floppy drive kept lighting even after i changed the boot order. Went into bios and disabled floppy seek and the floppy drive. AFter saving changes the screen went black to restart and has never came back. Found out installed A drive cable wrong and installed new floppy drive. Just found out CPU heat sink grease was not covering at all. Only thing i get now is power up, cd rom light keeps flashing when i put in the ASUS support cd and the hard drive led will flash.
I hope it didnt burn the CPU will try resitting it tonight and applying heat sink compound. IF anyone can help I appreciate it, been a long frustrating process with dumb errors on my part.
Oh yeah, also tried resetting cmos and this did nothing
Sorry for the long post, its been a long process
Thanks,
Bill

Recommended Answers

All 24 Replies

Obviously some cable was wrong, make sure you have really attached everything according to their manual.

It is either that, or incorrectly installed and voltage blew it or overheated something.

This is exactly why I'll never buy another Asus board...seen this happen too many times and for no reason with their boards. Had one of these Asus boards do this to me one time, no reason it just stopped booting, I tried all kinds of stuff...ended up going in the closet for about six months until one day my roomate put his hardware on it instead of mine and the damn thing started working. After this I was able to put my hardware back and the system's been working now for about a year and half...go figure. I never did find a reason for why it did this. I would pop the CMOS battery...maybe setup just needs a nudge to come back. If that doesn't work I'd remove all the hardware down to RAM + Video and see if that will get it to atleast make it to setup. I had an Intel modem that did this to me one time after I added a network card, machine wouldn't even get to setup until I removed the modem...eventually I was able to find a config where the system would boot with the modem + network card installed, just had to find the right combo PCI slots. Sounds like you may just have a case of the Asus gremlins...if you have other hardware or know someone who would be willing to let you try theirs to see if it'll knock CMOS back in line I would definitely try that.

I have never had a problem with any asus board other then the one my dad fried because he got a faulty power supply. I have been running and asus p2b-f and an asus p2b mobo and never had a problem with either. my dad is running a asus p3vx or something like that. What model was your board?

Hey, I'm having the same trouble with my new Asus mobo...
It works fine without the modem??? I cant work it out, I'm using the Asus A7V400-MX SE with a Swann Smart II Pro internal modem.
If you work it out please ;)
Cheers
RicK

Yeah, I'm having a similar problem with an ASUS mobo with a Pentium III processor. The power supply is working, HD is spinning, CD-ROM's are working, fan on CPU is running, etc. The power button on the front of the computer isn't working. I tried taking out the RAM and CPU and re-inserting them, no luck. I guess my next step is completely taking out all the hardware and reinserting it. A friend suggested it could be a bad video card or CPU but that seems weird, especially with a Pentium III, I've never had to replace a P3. Anyone have any similar experiences or input? Thanks in advance.

I have the same deal here.. i will run through what lead to this pc not being able to boot, but power on,cpu fans, hard drive, video card, cd rom etc.

Ok... i only just today bought a 512mbddr stick of ram..previously my comp was working like a magician..nothing ever wrong.Then after i installed this ram stick which is actually fine... every time i used heavy grahpics such as games...my pc froze and i had to reboot.So i removed the 512 stick thinking it had something to do with that...but this kept on happening.

So i removed all my ram and removed my video card ..reconnected the video card and placed the ram back in (without the new stick) yet it still happened..but now instead of freezing during heavy graphics..my pc started freezing during startup...just before the desktop loads.So i checked out all my drivers..uninstalled then reinstalled..still have the problem...then i thought i should reinstall windows/reformat...but the process froze when the application was about to install windows.

So i tried to change some of the BIOS to get some response out of the hardware..i changed a few things in advanced BIOS...and now i cant even get a start up screen...nothing, the computer just powers on,video card on, cd rom on, cpu fans on... it seems as though the video card isnt communicating to the monitor..i swear it was something i did in the BIOS,..i just wanted to know how to erase the hard drive without software...is there a way to do it manually ..(i doubt there would be) ..but this is just very odd...the closest problem i have had to this is when my ram wasn't inserted properly years ago...but this looks more so as a video card issue...but i dont know..it is very frustrating

SPECS:
1.8Ghz AMD Athlon 2500+ Barton
1Ghz DDR RAM
256 MB DDR3 NVIDIA GS/XT 6800 (ithink it is GS/.XT)
40GB Seagate barracuda 7200 rpm etc...

fairly new hardware..used mostly for online gameplay...the thing is i was using it just last night ...and it was working no problem..without a trouble...now it doesnt even boot.Well i cant see the screen..like i said..could be the video card.

Alright...i fixed this not being able to boot problem...i took everything out..even my cpu fan and lithium battery about the size of a 10c piece...disconnected every cord....reconnected and replaced everything just how it was..then i was able to boot up...i firstly put the old 256ddr ram in just one.and it booted..so i continued placing the other new 512 ddr ram sticks in..they worked aswell..so everything slowly came back to good..i was using my onboard graphics at this time..due to my suspicion of my graphics card being the prob.

And i was right...my card has been the one freezing at the windows load screen, not the ram...it was fine a day ago..now it seems bodged /wrecked/ or something is up in the NVIDIA software..but i doubt it since i reinstalled it. My vid card is very new..bought in the last 3 months.

So i am looking to get my warranty into action..if i cant find the solution.

Yeah, I'm having a similar problem with an ASUS mobo with a Pentium III processor. The power supply is working, HD is spinning, CD-ROM's are working, fan on CPU is running, etc. The power button on the front of the computer isn't working. I tried taking out the RAM and CPU and re-inserting them, no luck. I guess my next step is completely taking out all the hardware and reinserting it. A friend suggested it could be a bad video card or CPU but that seems weird, especially with a Pentium III, I've never had to replace a P3. Anyone have any similar experiences or input? Thanks in advance.

I'm having the same exact problem. I was opening my case for some reason put it back together and nothing displays on my monitor but all my fans and drives spin but my power LED does not come on. My email address is jayman1233@gmail.com

I have a similar problem but the thing is that the computer sometime boots up but other times does not. When I press the power button the fans spin up but do not spin down as they should. The PC does not even POST, it just does nothing. If I turn it off and then on again and repeat this process several times it sometimes eventually turns on again. When it's on everything runs fine, I can play games on it and everything.

My specs are:

-MSI P6N 650i SLi Platinum motherboard
-Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @2.67 Ghz
-OCZ 4096MB Platinum XTC RAM
-BFG GeForce 512 Mb 8800 GT graphics card
-Hiper 580W Type-R Modular PSU
-Samsung Spinpoint S 160Gb HDD
-2 DVD drives (1 DVD-ROM and 1 DVD-RW)
-Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU cooler
-2 80mm case fans
-Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 4 sound card

I think it's a power issue but I can't be certain so I need advice on this. I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks in advance.

check your plug in in side of your system case. your monitor shows orange light while power
is on

Ah, I got it fixed now, thanks anyway. I just took the whole thing apart and rebuilt it with a few ajustments. I put some more Arctic Silver on my processor, I took out the motherboard battery to reset the CMOS, I reseated the RAM sticks in different slots and I changed around my wiring a bit, some power leads were connected to a few too many devices and fans.

Hope this helps if anyone has a similar problem.

hello I have the same trouble issue problem, I have a Intel motherboard 875P with CPU3.2 with HIS X1650GT. I replace the heatsink with a ASUS Silent Sqaure Pro Heatsink Cooler and Ive added the grease compound between the heatsink and CPU. Now there is power going thru the computer but nothing happens. Doesnt start up or do anything but turn on. Please help me on this and tell me wat is going on with my system.

Oh yea, my spec are

Intel P4 3.2 Hyper tech
Video card x1650GT
80GB harddrive
2GB memory
ASUS silent sqaure Pro.
120MM classic fan for the case
Intel Motherboard 875P with Hyper Tech.

Note that everytime I start up my compuer the CD-ROM light stays On and I dont know why.

I have an ASUS P4S800 and everything was fine until I decided to upgrade memory from 512Mb to 1.5 Gigs, it starts giving memory errors,and no keyboard errors i was able to restart it and was working so then a replaced the memory for two sticks kingston Pc 2700 one gig each and now the computer is not booting the power lights and the cd and dvd and memory reader are on but the screen not showing anything or something that can tell me it will reboot I cleared Cmos without results. COULD YOU PLEASE HELP!!! Thanks

Hi there i'm a nooby but just got a new xps 730 and oc'd it so i thought i'd try it on my amd 4200 msi mobo 7900gs 750gb hdd radeon chipset 2 gb ddr2@800 . i could only up mhz from 2oo to 216 (small step) dram from 800mhz to 1g,saved it now tower powers up but just have a black screen no response to anything ? any suggestions? plz help it's school holidays and boys are hating me atm.

Hi there i'm a nooby but just got a new xps 730 and oc'd it so i thought i'd try it on my amd 4200 msi mobo 7900gs 750gb hdd radeon chipset 2 gb ddr2@800 . i could only up mhz from 2oo to 216 (small step) dram from 800mhz to 1g,saved it now tower powers up but just have a black screen no response to anything ? any suggestions? plz help it's school holidays and boys are hating me atm.

Did you try and overclock your memory if thats the case a simple BIOS reset may fix your prob.

Thanks i thought thats what i needed to do should i disconnect the hdd's to be sure not to lose any data and how do i reset it? it's an msi rx480m2 mobo? cheers

Data wont be removed by a reset infact it doesnt touch your hd but you can remove your HD if it makes you feel more secure
how to reset:1 remove your cmos battery from your motherboard keep it out for a half an hour or so(the longer the better)replace and restart.
??

thanks i had to use the jumpers aswell but all is fixed now cheers

I had a simillar problem, and it turned out that when I pulled the video card out to check it, I didn't re-insert it fully. It seemed to be all the way in but wasn't. Check the card is fully in and the retaining clip at the end is clipped back in place.

I have a Gateway preformance 1500 desktop PC, intel 1.5 ghz pentium 4 processor and motherboard, 128 mb rdram pc800 memory, 60gb 7m ultra ata100 hard drive, 250 watt power supply. all the fans start up, the on/off button when properly started is green, now it is yellow and slite green. i have tried everything to startup. upluged, all connections reconnected, and i get nothing. can you help?

Joe

i never took the video card out for any reason.

It seems ASUS should just be trashed now. I have the same problem. The case fans spin, the PSU LED's light up, my mobo even has the dummy light saying that it is getting power...only problem is that the bios wont POST sometimes, sometimes does, sometimes freezes while the computer is on... What do I do?

Tower Details:
MB ASUS M4A79XTD EVO 790X AM3
Phenom 2 x4 3.14 GHz
ATI Radeon 5850
4GB OCz ram (designed for the processor)
950 Watt psu
win 7 -64

.....this build was designed with specifically advertised compatibility with each other. This should not be happening and the only thing I can think of is that the mobo is horrible (odd that the majority of the complaints are about ASUS....) but I dont wanna just go out and buy a new motherboard--especially if it IS the brand that I need to be leery about. I have taken everything out multiple times. Put it all back together multiple times and the computer turns on and works again.... until i turn it off again. Then the next time I try to restart, the problem comes back. HELP!!!!

i have a problem my pc just shut off and started to restarted but did not get pass the area where you cud access the set up,the fan were spinning heavy and it was not slowing down every was just functioning but the pc was just not boot.pppllllzzz i need help solving this problem thank you.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.