Hi, I need some computer help.

Background: I recently purchased a new motherboard and AMD XP chip. When I tried installing both into a new case/powersupply combo, it would not start up when I would hit the power button. I checked to make sure that all jumpers/settings were correct, but still nothing would happen. I finally took the motherboard and put it into another case with a different power supply, and the board would start up.

Because I figured that the issue was with the power supply, I returned the case/PS (it was a combo), and purchased a new Antec case/PS combo (350 W). I tried installing the board into that case, and now the board will boot, but after two seconds, it dies. I tried putting it into the other case, and I am having the same problem with that (when just the other day, it was working). I tried taking the original MB that was in the 2nd case, and putting it in the new Antec case, and now that board is also having the same problem (powers on for 2-3 seconds, and then dies). Did I totally screw up both of my motherboards? What do you guys think the problem may be?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Care to let us know what make and model both the motherboard and the processor are?

I suspect your problem might be the way you've attached the front panel connectors.

Care to let us know what make and model both the motherboard and the processor are?

I suspect your problem might be the way you've attached the front panel connectors.

Old Computer: MSI K7N2 ATX board, AMD XP 2600+ Barton, 400 W PS

New Computer: ECS KT600-A, AMD XP 2600+ Barton, 350 W PS

I've checked and rechecked the front panel connections.. both boards were working two days ago.. yesterday they both would die after a few seconds.

I've been doing research online, and I see that some people suggest to clear the CMOS, either by taking out the BIOS battery, or setting the jumper. Would this help my situation?

Might work. Definitely should be tried.

By "it dies" do you mean that it actually boots into Windows and then shuts down?

Might work. Definitely should be tried.

By "it dies" do you mean that it actually boots into Windows and then shuts down?

No, there is currently no OS installed. I dont even have the hard drives connected to the power cable. All I have right now is the case fan plugged into the PS, the cpu fan in the motherboard, the main power going into the board.. oh, and the front panel for the case plugged in as well. What I mean is that when I hit the power button, the fans whir for 2 or 3 seconds, and then the power cuts off. I know that the PS's are good, so I don't know what the issue could be.

I think that is what happen when you insert the power switch incorrectly on the motherboard. There is two pins for this switch, you might have inserted the wrong side of the connector to the wrong pin.

I think that is what happen when you insert the power switch incorrectly on the motherboard. There is two pins for this switch, you might have inserted the wrong side of the connector to the wrong pin.

I thought that as well (that it was an issue of +/-), but I tried reversing it, and it doesnt power at all.

I thought that as well (that it was an issue of +/-), but I tried reversing it, and it doesnt power at all.

One computer works now, I had to reset the CMOS..

The other board is also "working" after I reset the CMOS for that as well... however, I don't hear a beep when it is powered on, nothing shows on the monitor (no signal), and though the hd lights are on, there is no flickering... (the HD has an OS on it). Any ideas?

I got three ideas:

1. I'll move this to the 'Troubleshooting Dead Machines' section where it rightfully belongs.

2. That second computer isn't really 'working' yet.

3. You read the sticky at top of page in the 'Dead machines' section and let us know if the tips in there don't bring results.

:D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.