Okay,
So I've been running a set-up with a Biostar P4M800 Pro-M7 mobo and an old Celeron D processor. I've wanted to upgrade the celeron for ages, but never have the cash on hand. So a friend of mine got a Core 2 Quad Q8300 last week, and can't use it so he gave it to me. The problem is, the mobo only supports up to core 2 duo (though the new chipset is still 775). I tried hooking it up anyways, and indeed, the computer wouldn't post.

So, does this sound like the mobo just cant recognize the cpu? I checked, and the cpu is running (heating up).

If so, is there anything I can do (flash the bios, etc) to get the chip running on my biostar mobo.

Eventually, I can upgrade my mobo, but that's not an option at the moment.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Okay,
So I've been running a set-up with a Biostar P4M800 Pro-M7 mobo and an old Celeron D processor. I've wanted to upgrade the celeron for ages, but never have the cash on hand. So a friend of mine got a Core 2 Quad Q8300 last week, and can't use it so he gave it to me. The problem is, the mobo only supports up to core 2 duo (though the new chipset is still 775). I tried hooking it up anyways, and indeed, the computer wouldn't post.

So, does this sound like the mobo just cant recognize the cpu? I checked, and the cpu is running (heating up).

If so, is there anything I can do (flash the bios, etc) to get the chip running on my biostar mobo.

Eventually, I can upgrade my mobo, but that's not an option at the moment.

Thanks for your help,
Chris

Hi

My feeling is that you are not going to be able to use this processor unless you upgrade your mobo. Although they both use the socket 775 if you look at the website with the specs for your mobo it cannot take the processor. For example your mobo supports fsb speeds of 533/800/1066mhz. The quad core you have has a fsb of 1333mhz so i don't think it will support your processor.

Bryann,
Thanks, indeed the specs seem to say "no" to the quad. I've got an e-mail in to Biostar, but am still waiting for a reply. I had hoped that it simply wouldn't run as fast with the slower fsb speed (like putting a faster DDR chip into a slower mobo), but would still far outstrip my celeron d, especially in Photoshop, etc.
I won't make any rash decisions till I hear from Biostar.
Thanks again.
C

Yeah, Biostar just confirmed. Quad is a no-go. Hardware problem. Sucks. Oh well, I'll stay slow a little longer and save my pennies for a new mobo.
Thanks,
Chris

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.