Unfortuantly I am not to familier with this type of computor or where to find a replacment part. The computor itself is and old IBM that runs a Particle Analyzer from Malvern on DOS. My problem is in the IDE board (i hope) and with that I am having a hard time finding is a replacement that will be able to handle the tiny hard drive and old formating and the old mother-board. The IDE board itself was made by Western Digital and is copywrited 1988. It has a strip that is made to insert into the motherboard that has 31 x 18 "pins". (excuse my ignorance on these matters). It also has J1 and J2 for the hard drive and floppy drive? . Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Cosby

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Can you get a part number off the board?

Unfortuantly I am not to familier with this type of computor or where to find a replacment part. The computor itself is and old IBM that runs a Particle Analyzer from Malvern on DOS. My problem is in the IDE board (i hope) and with that I am having a hard time finding is a replacement that will be able to handle the tiny hard drive and old formating and the old mother-board. The IDE board itself was made by Western Digital and is copywrited 1988. It has a strip that is made to insert into the motherboard that has 31 x 18 "pins". (excuse my ignorance on these matters). It also has J1 and J2 for the hard drive and floppy drive? . Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Cosby

Do you have a backup of the system when it was working?

It would help if you gave us more information. How does the particle analyzer connect to this computer. Or do you simply enter data into this program?

You can install DOS on a newer computer with no problem.

Can you give us information on the hard drive itself. You say it is tiny but that is a relative term. You mention IDE... so at least we are not working with an old 5.25" mfm or rll setup... So the format should be standard...

I am assuming at this point that this is an ISA drive controller and not a PCI...

What is the nature of the problem you are having with this system...

What error message are you getting etc.

I am kinda busy this week and I will try to check back soon but the answers to these questions will help others to further define your problem and come up with a fix...

Can you get a part number off the board?

there are two possible serial numbers for this. One is "61-000342-00 REV D 1063" which is seen on a sticker stuck to the board and the other is "60-000222-03 REV XO" which is printed on the back of the board.

Do you have a backup of the system when it was working?

It would help if you gave us more information. How does the particle analyzer connect to this computer. Or do you simply enter data into this program?

You can install DOS on a newer computer with no problem.

Can you give us information on the hard drive itself. You say it is tiny but that is a relative term. You mention IDE... so at least we are not working with an old 5.25" mfm or rll setup... So the format should be standard...

I am assuming at this point that this is an ISA drive controller and not a PCI...

What is the nature of the problem you are having with this system...

What error message are you getting etc.

I am kinda busy this week and I will try to check back soon but the answers to these questions will help others to further define your problem and come up with a fix...

Ok... The particle analyzer is a separate device/machine connected to the computer by something like a 32 pin cable. The computer is set up to run the analyzer program and that program only. It is supposed to boot up in DOS then imediatly start the analyzer program. When we tried to boot up the first time, it did so without hesitation, but as we did after 2 or 3 times, it stopped working all together with an error message to the effect of "HDD controller failure. Our first thought, since it had worked before was that the hard drive needed replacing, and we did so and again it booted up fine then flaked out on us after 1 shutdown with the same error message.

As for backup, we have been trying to back up the existing hard drive onto one of our more modern computers but have not been successful since we do not have a program that can read information off such an old HD. We have tried to use an “Easy IDE USB to go from the old HD to the new computer, hoping it would act as an external HD. The old HD is a Quantum ProDive LPS. Serial might be “800-09-94 [61][1] or “52AT , 950-50-9105.

On the actual IDE board, the possible serial #’s are "61-000342-00 REV D 1063" which is seen on a sticker stuck to the board and the other is "60-000222-03 REV XO" which is printed on the back of the board. Next to the J2 39 pin male “plug is “Winchester. If a picture would help, send me an email at CrittendenCG@hiram.edu and I will see what I can do.
Thanks for taking the time to even read this.

the 52at quantum is a 50 meg ide drive.

You should be able to put it on a secondary ide cable (alone) on another newer machine and be able to read it and back it up.

You may need to set it on a block of blue ice if it is really failing...

Where does the particle analyzer connect to the pc.
Does it have its own card on the motherboard...?

I am assuming this will also be an isa card but hopefully a pci card...
I am also assuming it is a scsi card/port/connector...D shell..etc...

I worked on one of those antiques at Scripps Institute in LaJolla...
Please tell me this isnt the same old doorstop getting recycled again...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.