I just built my 4th computer from components. Had it running, added a CDROM and floppy drive. Computer no longer boots.
When turned on, fans run and a long beep starts after a few seconds.
Have disconnected every component including all but power switch and internal speaker. Still have same problem.
Both 12V and +-5V are OK.
Now what?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

sounds like bad ram memory, bad cpu, or improper ide configuration

Thansk for answering.
It's a brand new CPU. I pulled the memory stick out and still had the long beep, silence and another long beep etc. I also disconnected each HD as well as the floppy drive. Results always the same. I remember having that happen once before but can't recall what the circumstances were.
Any more thoughts/

Thansk for answering.
It's a brand new CPU. I pulled the memory stick out and still had the long beep, silence and another long beep etc. I also disconnected each HD as well as the floppy drive. Results always the same. I remember having that happen once before but can't recall what the circumstances were.
Any more thoughts/

sometimes if wrong ram is used it'll cause it too. Ex: using PC133 ram in one that is intended to have pc100.
also mixing 2 different named ram sticks can cause it sometimes.
only other thing that would probably cause it is bad motherboard, but i suppose anything could be possible, including a bad video card or a nonworking cpu fan

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.