I have an AMD64 set up with an ASUS MB. My 15 year old son was playing Diablo II and he said weird noises came out of the speakers, and then the PC crashed. It will not boot up now. The CPU fan and video card and Hard Drive all power up, but nothing is being sent to the monitor. No beeps either. I have Windows XP Home.

Here is what I have tried;

Unplugged the DVD, CD and floppy drives, sound card, no difference.
From another PC I own (an AMD 64 setup) I swapped video cards and memory (seperately and together) and no difference. I still get no signal going to the monitor. I even threw in a brand new HD that I had sitting around to and had the XP CD in the drive (b4 I unplugged it of course) and I got nothing. My video card does work in my other AMD64 setup.

Would this probably mean my MB is toast?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

have u tried swapping monitors instead?

I have an AMD64 set up with an ASUS MB. My 15 year old son was playing Diablo II and he said weird noises came out of the speakers, and then the PC crashed. It will not boot up now. The CPU fan and video card and Hard Drive all power up, but nothing is being sent to the monitor. No beeps either. I have Windows XP Home.

Here is what I have tried;

Unplugged the DVD, CD and floppy drives, sound card, no difference.
From another PC I own (an AMD 64 setup) I swapped video cards and memory (seperately and together) and no difference. I still get no signal going to the monitor. I even threw in a brand new HD that I had sitting around to and had the XP CD in the drive (b4 I unplugged it of course) and I got nothing. My video card does work in my other AMD64 setup.

Would this probably mean my MB is toast?

I forgot to mention that I did that as well, the monitor is fine.

Doesn't sound good. Check out the Pinned sticky in 'Troubleshooting Dead Machines' section for the 'bare bones' problem checking method, and if you get no joy have the system checked by a technician.

I'll move this topic to that section for you, because that's where it belongs.

motherboard is probably still good replaced the cpu, running stock AMD heatsink and fan and playing game will kill your AMD64 found the heatsink to be horriable. Built a few system with AMD64 with better heatsink and with stock heatsink tempertures are 42c with no load and 67c-78c with load with zalman heatsink fan 26c with no load and 39c with temperture taken with hardware sensor and the diode on the motherboard cpu is more likely fry. you can checked by swaping them in the other computer see if it still work if not then it your motherboard. AMD will proably will take back the cpu and give you a new one but I would buy a better heatsink fan for it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.