SWITCHING between TWO separate physical HDD drives…

Well…

Situation:

TWO separate HDD in one CPU:

(Say):

a. One HDD of 80 GB used for general work and internet etc…(having its own windows xp prof OS)

b. Second HDD of 160 GB containing utmost critical and sensitive applications and data…(having its own windows advanced server 2000 OS along with oracle etc)

PRESENT:

BOTH HDD connected to motherboard always and at the time of starting the computer…I choose the desirable HDD on which I want to work by going into BIOS Settings…

PROBLEM:

It has happened that I logged into HDD one of 80 GB and virus got transferred from 80GB HDD (since it is the one which is connected to internet) to 160 GB HDD (which contains data and applications as critical as my life) and corrupted some important data and applications in 160 GB HDD…

This is true despite the fact that I had latest Norton Antivirus updated daily installed on 80 GB HDD along with spyware blaster and almost daily run spybot and adaware…

Furthermore the 160 GB HDD had MCAFEE 2005 full security solutions installed…

SOLUTION I INITIALLY THOUGHT:

Connect the data cable and power chord to the HDD which I intend to use at any one point in time AND DISCONNECT the other HDD’s data cable and power chord…(but both HDD remaining fit in CPU)…

PROBLEM:

This switching of HDD by connecting the data cable and power chord of one HDD and disconnecting the second…is appearing too tough on me and also appears that it may NOT be healthy for the motherboard also in the long run….as I switch frequently many times every day on two HDD’s…

Also it’s NOT possible to let them connected despite the fact that one is used at any one time (due to virus reasons stated above)…

SO PLEASE SUGGEST ME WHAT SHOULD I DO SO THAT I CAN ENSURE THAT I AM ABLE TO HAVE ONLY ONE HDD CONNECTED AT ANY ONE POINT IN TIME TO THE MOTHERBOARD AND SAVED FROM CONNECTING / DISCONNECTING THE OTHER…??????????????????????

I MEAN IS THERE ANY SWITCH OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT………………????????????????????????

I hope I have been actually able to explain my problem in proper words so that someone might actually possibly suggest something….

Thanks and best regards,

Sunando

sunandoghosh (at) rediffmail (dot) com

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

SWITCHING between TWO separate physical HDD drives…

Well…

Situation:

TWO separate HDD in one CPU:

(Say):

a. One HDD of 80 GB used for general work and internet etc…(having its own windows xp prof OS)

b. Second HDD of 160 GB containing utmost critical and sensitive applications and data…(having its own windows advanced server 2000 OS along with oracle etc)

PRESENT:

BOTH HDD connected to motherboard always and at the time of starting the computer…I choose the desirable HDD on which I want to work by going into BIOS Settings…

PROBLEM:

It has happened that I logged into HDD one of 80 GB and virus got transferred from 80GB HDD (since it is the one which is connected to internet) to 160 GB HDD (which contains data and applications as critical as my life) and corrupted some important data and applications in 160 GB HDD…

This is true despite the fact that I had latest Norton Antivirus updated daily installed on 80 GB HDD along with spyware blaster and almost daily run spybot and adaware…

Furthermore the 160 GB HDD had MCAFEE 2005 full security solutions installed…

SOLUTION I INITIALLY THOUGHT:

Connect the data cable and power chord to the HDD which I intend to use at any one point in time AND DISCONNECT the other HDD’s data cable and power chord…(but both HDD remaining fit in CPU)…

PROBLEM:

This switching of HDD by connecting the data cable and power chord of one HDD and disconnecting the second…is appearing too tough on me and also appears that it may NOT be healthy for the motherboard also in the long run….as I switch frequently many times every day on two HDD’s…

Also it’s NOT possible to let them connected despite the fact that one is used at any one time (due to virus reasons stated above)…

SO PLEASE SUGGEST ME WHAT SHOULD I DO SO THAT I CAN ENSURE THAT I AM ABLE TO HAVE ONLY ONE HDD CONNECTED AT ANY ONE POINT IN TIME TO THE MOTHERBOARD AND SAVED FROM CONNECTING / DISCONNECTING THE OTHER…??????????????????????

I MEAN IS THERE ANY SWITCH OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT………………????????????????????????

I hope I have been actually able to explain my problem in proper words so that someone might actually possibly suggest something….

Thanks and best regards,

Sunando

sunandoghosh (at) rediffmail (dot) com

how about using two computers? ;) or why dont you just disable the other hard drive in windows? granted you couldnt access it but it couldnt get infected...or easiest yet...do frequent backups and then your always ok...you have many options ;)

I have a customer in the same situation...

I set him up with two removeable drive bays...

He just switches one on then boots up...

He DID screw up and have both drives powered on and booted up...

I then removed one of the enclosures and made him physically swap the drives...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.