Hi,

The RED color has not been working for a while. However I have had a phuny behaviour when the whole screen would start having red "waves" come accross. Sometimes the waves would disappear when I would tilt the LCD more, sometimes they would appear around the edge of a window that is bigger than 80% of the screen. I generally fix the RED waves coming up by tilting the screen but I have never got the RED back on the LCD as it is supposed to work. Could this be the LCD dying, not connected tigthly or simply a RAM problem. I believe the Video card is some crappy intergrated shared memory thing with no support for DirectX or OpenGl.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Lubo

The RED color has not been working for a while. However I have had a phuny behaviour when the whole screen would start having red "waves" come accross. Sometimes the waves would disappear when I would tilt the LCD more, sometimes they would appear around the edge of a window that is bigger than 80% of the screen. I generally fix the RED waves coming up by tilting the screen but I have never got the RED back on the LCD as it is supposed to work. Could this be the LCD dying, not connected tigthly or simply a RAM problem. I believe the Video card is some crappy intergrated shared memory thing with no support for DirectX or OpenGL

As far as DirectX or Open GL go, those are software-based. Unless your laptop is well over 6 years old, it will support both at some level.

I'm going to quote myself here, from a couple of earlier posts:
To me, monitor repairman that I am, it sounds like bad contacts between the driver electronics and the display itself. One relatively easy test for this problem is as follows:

With the unit on, gently grasp the left and right edges of the display. Gently twist the display (no more than a few ounces of pressure) as though you are wringing out a towel. See if the display flashes, changes, etc. This may even fix the problem.

Try changing the display angle, a bit more open or closed, with power on. Changes at this point indicate a cable problem.

It's also possible that one of the driver chips is actually defective. In this case, the above tests will have little or no effect.

Unfortunately, in most cases it is likely that the display is essentially beyond economical repair.

The LC panel connects to the electronics via an elastomeric (rubber-like) contact assembly. It's a series of fine, parallel wires molded into a block -- like encasing a metal comb in rubber then cutting off the back, leaving only the tines. The wires are insulated from each other, but exposed on the contact ends between the panel and the driver printed-circuit board. It doesn't take a lot of stress to dislodge things.

DISCLAIMER: While nothing I'm describing here is likely to cause any permanent damage, I cannot be held reponsible for negative outcomes -- but I don't see how you could make it any worse short of outright abuse.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.