I left the notebook on for a few hours and came home to find out that it wont power up completely anymore. I've tried unplugging the AC adapter and pressing the power button. When I do that it still only powers up for 5 seconds then cuts off. I sent it to gateway to have it fixed prior to these issues. Gateway replaced the motherboard, the fan and fixed the DC jack since i had to wiggle my AC adapter to charge my notebook.

When I got my notebook back from gateway my fan wouldn't operate properly. It was making noises and sometimes it would stop while i'm surfing the net then just make a dramatic scene and shut completely off on me. I was told to open up the notebook and clean the fan. I did that and the fan still wont move. I don't know what size the fan is. I know my notebook isn't dead because when I press the power button it will come on for 5 seconds. It wont even reach the operating system window.....

What could be the issue with the notebook? and can i fix it myself?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

bad battery?

bad battery?

No the battery is good.

are you comfortable doing surgery on your laptop? if so, you could always look to see that a: they connected the fan to the power appropriately. b: that there isn't something obstructing the rotating of the fan, or c: double check to make sure the power port is securely soldered to the motherboard (sounds like they may have done that but it would be good to check anyways)

are you comfortable doing surgery on your laptop? if so, you could always look to see that a: they connected the fan to the power appropriately. b: that there isn't something obstructing the rotating of the fan, or c: double check to make sure the power port is securely soldered to the motherboard (sounds like they may have done that but it would be good to check anyways)

I will check that tomorrow afternoon. I contacted HP and they said that I have to pay a $199.00 for there mess up. Can you believe that?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.