i need help
recently i transported a computer into a new xblade case and it is having some issues:

it has a 866mhz socket 370 pentium 3 cpu and on the xblade thermometer it is reaching around 60 degrees then automatically turning off the pc---the fan and heatsink are fitted properly too

also the monitor is not displaying any thing-i have a 512 ram (2x 256) and it was working absolutely fine before i transported the pc

help will be greatly appreciated

Recommended Answers

All 52 Replies

are your fans including heatsink connected properly

At 60 degrees c I'd be shutting down also, what's different with the cpu that it over heating...hmmmm?

i have no idea whats wrong
the main issue is that there is no post or display

i took ram out and ....no post!!!

If you are saying that it won't POST after the over heating then you may have fried the CPU.

its a p3 right--i just took the heatsink off and the bit that is usually purple is half balck---is it toasted???

That would be my guess. A couple of quick questions, did the CPU have a fan attached to the heat sink and if so was it working, did you remove the CPU in the process of changing cases, it sounds like the module wasn't properly seated or the fan wasn't working...the botom line is it does not look good.

That would be my guess. A couple of quick questions, did the CPU have a fan attached to the heat sink and if so was it working, did you remove the CPU in the process of changing cases, it sounds like the module wasn't properly seated or the fan wasn't working...the botom line is it does not look good.

i have to agree with you dcc.

amd_sucks - it almost certainly looks as though you have roasted your processor as in no way, shape or form should it have any blackness on it.

im going to go with dcc and am half assuming that in the process of swapping the mobo into a new case and if you did take the processor/heatsink assembly out before hand did you remember to clean off the remanents of and reapply thermal paste.

theres also a slight possibility of a short in the board:)

i remember the cpu coming off
and i put it back on with a thermometer sensor on the cpu under the heatsink

i think the double sided tape that put the sensor on roasted the cpu

im going to go out and buy another socket 370 and test it if it works then great but if it doesnt work-then theres a different cause

i remember the cpu coming off
and i put it back on with a thermometer sensor on the cpu under the heatsink

i think the double sided tape that put the sensor on roasted the cpu

im going to go out and buy another socket 370 and test it if it works then great but if it doesnt work-then theres a different cause

why on earth did you put double sided tape on it. that is a no go area and the tape probably did cause your processor to roast. next time leave the tape off and just ensure a good ample amount of thermal paste is on the processor.;)

ive gotta say!!!
that'll teach me not to be a dumbass

thanks for the help guys!

so do you reckon the pc will display if i change the cpu?

ive gotta say!!!
that'll teach me not to be a dumbass

thanks for the help guys!

so do you reckon the pc will display if i change the cpu?

yes possibly:)

Just a thought here, if your computer is three or four years old you might want to invest in a new motherboard and CPU combo. I don't know where you live, but here I have access to Tiger Direct who have some pretty reasonable prices for combos. Sorry aboutthe paper weight. ;)

yeah but im 14 years old-im not really up for a new mobo or cpu

yeah but im 14 years old-im not really up for a new mobo or cpu

tell ur parents and maybe they'll help you:D

A hard and expensive leson indeed. Well...maybe the computer gods will be pleased with the burnt offering and smile on you in the future. :-|

hopefully the computer gods will! :cheesy:

im buying a new cpu tonight and ill let you guys know if it works!

error occured...see next post.

why would double sided tape burn the cpu though
and where could i put the cpu temp. sensor???

That's hard to say without knowing a little more about your setup, like how long did it take for the thermal protection to kick in, did the heatsink have a fan, was it running, and to what part of the heatsink did you attach the sensor to, and did this tape impede the thermal convection of the heatsink. As for the sensors' location, where was it located originally, and how was it attach, or was it free standing next to the CPU? :eek:

the cpu heatsink was properly on with a fan and the sensor was between the cpu and heatsink

There shouldn't be anything between the CPU and the heatsink except a small amount of thermal paste, and this includes double sided tape. If you must attach it to the heatsink, do so on the outside, you won't notice any difference in temperature.

just out of curiousity---why would tape burn the cpu like that

the tape melted in the high temperatures given out by the cpu. tape is plastic and plastic melts quite easily. plastic is also a derivative of oil so is very volatile.

anyway - nuff of the science lesson. looks like the tape melted onto the cpu

I still don't have a clear picture of how much tape there was, and where it was placed between the heatsink and the CPU, but what I'm fairly certain of is that the tape between the two disrupted the continuity beween the two components and the thermal compound stopping the heat generated by the CPU from reaching the heatsink to disispate it, thus allowing it to over heat. The purpose of the thermal paste is to provide as close to a molecular bond as possible between the two components to inhance thermal convection between the two. Even on a well machined and polished surface, what at first glass appears to be a smooth surface changes drasticaly when viewed under something like an optical flat with a monochromatic light source. What appeared as a smooth surface previously now looks very much like a topographic map, and it's these hills and valleys that the thermal compound is designed to help fill and provide greater continuity. I hope this helps you to understand a little better.

That sensor is supposed to go UNDERNEATH the processor. The wires feed in between the pins, the sensor gets taped to the underside of the processor directly beneath the cpu core, and you're supposed to use special thermal adhesive tape to stick it there, not double sided sticky tape! There was probably a little square of peel-off tape that came with the sensor, and you're supposed to cut off a tiny wee strip of it ;)

The heatsink underside and the processor top surface need to be thoroughly cleaned with a suitable solvent, and the two surfaces sealed with appropriate thermal paste or compound when the heatsink is fitted.

You blew it up because you didn't get a good seal between the heatsink and the heat spreader on top of the processor.

oh i see
i looked very closely at the cpu and it looks as if the tape did melt into the center of the cpu

where can i get a cheap 370 cpu

im currently looking at ebay--anywhere else you recommend??

HELP I BOUGHT A NEW CPU AND ITS STILL HAPPENING--SAME THING TOO---I REPLACED RAM,I TOOK OUT RAM TO SEE IF IT BEEPED AND ITS STILL OCCURING :cry: PLEASE HELP ME

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.