I'm attempting to install a SATA HDD into my system, but no success.
The system consists of:
MoBo: ECS PM800-M2
CPU: Intel P4 2.4G
Mem: 2 Gb
OS: Win XP Home, SP3, all updates, still fairly fresh and clean, runs well
Security: MSE
Primary HDD: 160 Gb WD1600AAJB, 95Gb free
Video: NVideo GeForce FX 5200
DVD writer, floppy drive.
Trying to get system to recognize a 160 Gb WD SATA ( as a secondary drive, nothing fancy), new, empty, formatted, works fine if connected via Thermaltake BlacX external (USB) drive adapter, but no joy if direct to socket on board. There's simply no indication that the system detects the presence of the unit whatsoever, except that during the boot process, when the WinXP splash screen first appears, it's at 20% or so normal brightness, just sits for about 40 seconds, then comes up to full bright, continues on with the Windows installation. When Windows and the rest of the system is "up", there's about another minute of extraneous HD activity before everything settles down. No sign of another drive in Computer Management, BIOS IDE Device set to SATA mode IDE, etc(?); I've tried all that I can think of, including both SATA sockets on MoBo, various power sources, etc., following the notes regarding installation of the VIA RAID/SATA controllers from the Support CD.The motherboard data definitely promises acceptance of SATA drives, so I’m still missing something in the installation phase. Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted.

I'm attempting to install a SATA HDD into my system, but no success.
The system consists of:
MoBo: ECS PM800-M2
CPU: Intel P4 2.4G
Mem: 2 Gb
OS: Win XP Home, SP3, all updates, still fairly fresh and clean, runs well
Security: MSE
Primary HDD: 160 Gb WD1600AAJB, 95Gb free
Video: NVideo GeForce FX 5200
DVD writer, floppy drive.
Trying to get system to recognize a 160 Gb WD SATA ( as a secondary drive, nothing fancy), new, empty, formatted, works fine if connected via Thermaltake BlacX external (USB) drive adapter, but no joy if direct to socket on board. There's simply no indication that the system detects the presence of the unit whatsoever, except that during the boot process, when the WinXP splash screen first appears, it's at 20% or so normal brightness, just sits for about 40 seconds, then comes up to full bright, continues on with the Windows installation. When Windows and the rest of the system is "up", there's about another minute of extraneous HD activity before everything settles down. No sign of another drive in Computer Management, BIOS IDE Device set to SATA mode IDE, etc(?); I've tried all that I can think of, including both SATA sockets on MoBo, various power sources, etc., following the notes regarding installation of the VIA RAID/SATA controllers from the Support CD.The motherboard data definitely promises acceptance of SATA drives, so I’m still missing something in the installation phase. Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted.

Problem solved! I finally understand what Western Digital was talking about with reference to autospeed negotiation between the SATA controller and the faster SATA 2 HDD. The light came on, I installed the 5-6 jumper on the recalcitrant drive, and all is well. This solution is referred to on the WD Drive Support site. Thanks to those who were just getting to their keyboards to help get me up to speed on this issue.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.