First thread and only semi-tech savvy so please bear with me...

My daughters HP Pavillion 6700 (6835nr) is past warranty and over a year old. It will not boot properly. I can access some set-up menus but everything I try does not allow me to start the Win Vista system at all. Most the time the laptop will just run like normal with only a black screen.

My daughter is in college and needs her laptop and we cannot afford a new one.
Can I still retrieve all the data inside the computer? I have a 16GB zip disk.

BOTTOM LINE:

I have looked at dozens of threads all over the net with folks complaining about HP's that will not boot. I have tried ALL the basic fixes. NOne will work.
This laptop does have a bad power switch that is loose (if you wrap the cord, the switch will hold steady) and a battery I have found that is under recall; I believe these to be the source of this system malfunction.

CAN THIS COMPUTER BE RESTORED (AT ALL) WITHOUT LOSING THE DATA INSIDE?
IF SO, HOW DO I SAVE THE DATA WHEN I CANNOT ACCESS WIN VISTA?
WILL A SET-UP DISC WORK TO RESTORE VISTA WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO ACCESS VISTA?

Thank you

There is video problem with some models of hp laptop.
You can check out the problem on this website. www.hplies.com

To access your data you will need to take out the hard drive from the laptop and use another computer to access the data with a USB ATA drive reader. You can usually buy them at computer component stores such as Maplin in UK or equivelant whereever you are.

Any local computer guy should be able to retrieve this data quite easily.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.