Hi,

I recently had my PC shipped from abroad. When I went to plug it in, I 'may' have left the voltage setting on the PSU at 230V instead of the 115V of my new locale.

At some point I switched the voltage to 115V and plugged it in, as soon as I did so the following happened:

*PSU fan starts to spin
*Leds near the USB ports all light up
*The Case fan for the CPU (enclosed by a plastic hood) started to spin faster and faster until it was iterally sounding like a vacuum cleaner.

There were no other indications that anything was going on, no disks spun, the Gfx card didnt spin, no leds came on on any peripheral or elsewhere on the MB.

Does it sound like my PSU and or MB (at least) are dead? Can putting 115V through a PSU set to 230V kill the entire PC? I think that the case fan may be powered from the PSU, so I am hoping that is all that died...

I noticed that the box that the PC was shipped in had a few small but deep dents on it, that look like they were either caused by it being hit hard or by it falling against something whilst full, consequently there may be more than one thing wrong with the PC in the first place. If the voltage mixup is unlikely to have damaged the MB, I wonder if some accident in transport may have killed it, what should I check for to tell?

Also, can anyone tell me if Dell actually provide useful tech support for PCs damaged in a way that isnt covered by Warranty? I would rather replace any broken parts with the originals if a third party performs the repairs.

Lastly...

The PC is a Dell Dimension 8400, Intel 925X chipset MB, 3.4GHz p4 with HT and 2Mb Cache, Dual Channel DDR2 400MHz, twin SATA Raid0 HDD, ATI X850T PCI Express 16 gfx card (taking two slots).

If the PSU was set at 230V and you plugged it into 115V it shouldn't have harmed it, if it had been the reverse...that would have been bad news!

I would get in touch with the company that shipped your computer and file a claim for the damages it received in transit. If it was hit hard enough to dent it something could have been dislodged.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.