just booting up the pc for the first time,

loading up the windows disk but then says unable to find hard drive press enter to reboot.

everything is connected up, but my only concern is that i think the disk is not spinning but i am unsure to tell.

anyone out there who can help??

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

What is it that is giving you this message?
Is this a message after POST (while still on the black screen)?
Is this a message that Windows setup tells you?

it comes up on the blue screen with the grey bar at the bottom saying:

"Setup did not find any hard disks drives installed in your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related ahrdware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufactured-supplied diagnostic or setup programme

setup cannot contiue. To quit setup, press F3"

so im a bit unsure about what to do, i have changed around the slots on the motherboard but still no change.

any suggestions

What you need to do is insert the disk labelled "SATA driver disk" (or something like that), and when setup asks you to "Press F6 to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver", press F6, and follow the onscreen prompts.

Note that the SATA disk will be a floppy you received with your motherboard. It may be labelled "RAID driver disk" or something....

a floppy didnt come with the hard drive, but i did download it from the site, but still that hasnt solved my problem.

cheers for the help though

anyone know anymore help that they could give me :cry:

The solution that was offered is the correct solution for this problem (if you have your hardware and BIOS set correctly). Did you boot from the setup CD with the disk in and hit the appropriate key when it asked for a SATA driver disk?
Are you sure that you got the appropriate driver?

I did boot from the cd and it does configure the hard drive to load up windows but still when it gets to installing it, it still cant find the hard drive.

You would have received the floppy with your mother board. If you've misplaced it, you can download the sata drivers from the manufacturer's web site...

i have downloaded it, and booted it up, but windows setup still fails to detect that its there, the raid setup finds it, but windows doesnt.

Are you sure that you are using the correct drivers? Please provide the make and model number of your motherboard and specify which SATA port the hard drive is plugged into.

i have downloaded it, and booted it up, but windows setup still fails to detect that its there, the raid setup finds it, but windows doesnt.

What do you mean by "raid setup"? Are you talking about when the BIOS finds the drives? If that's the case, that's completely unrelated to the Windows Setup CD being able to find the drive.

Here's a guide for this process. Are you doing everything just as the guide stats?

Are you sure that you got the correct drivers? Did you get the drivers from your motherboard's manufacturer's site for that specific board?

Motherboard is ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe and the Hard Drive is a Seagate Barracuda ST3200822AS 200Gb.

in the process of trying out more stuff

INSTALLING WINDOWS NOW!!!!

DOWNLOADED THE DRIVERS FROM THE MOTHERBOARD AND IT WORKED (was using the hard drive drivers)

cheers for all your help guys.

been such a pain in the backside, it didnt help not having a floppy drive as well, but i got there in the end.

I'm glad you got it working DaMaGe. It's funny that the newest tech (SATA) still relies on tech that most people consider obsolete (floppies).

I'm glad you got it working DaMaGe. It's funny that the newest tech (SATA) still relies on tech that most people consider obsolete (floppies).

I guess that'll remain one of life's biggest ironies!!!!! ;)

There's an exception in this case though.;)

DaMaGe has attached his hard drive to the Silicon Image SATA RAID controller, which requires drivers in order to be recognised by Windows. However, what you should do DaMaGe is attach your hard drive to the native nForce4 controller (refer to your manual to find out which is what). This will result in slightly better performance and no need for drivers during Windows XP setup.

However, don't stress. It's not going to heavily impact on anything if you just stick with the Silicon Image controller - just something to keep in mind next time you think about reinstalling Windows.

will look into it

cheers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.