If I put a CD in, say a music CD or a data CD it reads those fine but when I put a DVD in it just won't reconise them!

Any idea what this could be folks?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

Are you saying that your drive can't read any DVDs or that it won't play DVD movies?

Both. If I put a DVD in you can hear the drive searching but it finds nothing. Double click on the drive in "My Computer" and it says the drive is empty.

hmm.....could be the dvd drive or try finding a driver

do you know what model it is

How can I find out the make of it though, because if I go into Device Manager it's just got the generic crap: Atapi 12x DVD-ROM.

mostlikey its an atapi----try actually opeing pc and seeing if a sticker with the info is on it

Ah ha - it's a Delta. (Whoever they are lol).

Right I'm found the floppy disk that came with this DVD player - trouble is it says "Driver for MS-DOS & Windows 3.1"
I've double clicked it but it starts asking all sorts of questions I don't know the answer to.

Looks like I've hit a wall with this situation. A search for drivers on the net showed that Delta have given up supplying drivers!

oh!
what OS are you running?

XP Pro.
Is it possible for the drive to lose the ability to read DVDs yet still be able to read a data or music cd?

XP Pro.
Is it possible for the drive to lose the ability to read DVDs yet still be able to read a data or music cd?

I am having the exact same problem, Any help would be appriciated!!!!

Ronda

Me too.....

You know....I have been searching for a solution to this problem ALL OVER the internet. It seems like this is a VERY common problem, and I have yet to find the actual solution!!! :evil:

I have TWO dvd drives, one generic DVD ROM and an HP dvd640. They have both worked in the past with ZERO problems.

But, now that I wanted to burn some pictures to DVD it just won't work. Heck, my A: drive stopped working too....but I somehow managed to fix that.

I re-installed windows (XP Home)....and of course I got carried away with installing some stuff before trying to troubleshoot the problem again....and they still don't bleeping work! :rolleyes:

NOTE: The only software I installed was software that posed no problems when the DVD drives were working properly!

So,
1) it isn't a dirty lens......both DVD players (player/burner) stopped working (with DVD's)
2) The DVD drive WILL read regular CD's
3) I've done all sorts of looking at registry edit fixes......no success (yet).
4) I've done all sorts of driver "uninstalls" and device unplugging and rebooting...no success (yet anyways)
5) Perhaps some sort of windows update has screwed with something? This is the only "foreign" software that may have installed during my do-over of my system....hmmmm.... :idea:

Well, I hope someone has the answer.....this problem seems too common to let go!

Thanks,
Chris

Same problem but different synopsis. Did all of the regedit, uninstall, unplug etc but a pattern has emerged. I got the DVD drive working again. Didn't like DVD+ for a while but that eventually came right. First time it turned to custard was when I updated Norton Internet Security. Of course, rolling back Windows XP does not roll back updates so I spent many hours trawling the internet and found some other references to Norton being a factor. Somehow, with all my fiddling I got it working again, then I went and updated my Norton definitions - bugger! Back to square one again. Have been onto Norton - they say uninstall and re-install which will not do a thing as it is something in the program which is stuffing it up (did it anyway and it didn't help). I got the latest driver for my cd/dvd player and tried to install that and got an error. Deleted driver and re-installed, everything working. Don't dare update Norton.

Me too.....

You know....I have been searching for a solution to this problem ALL OVER the internet. It seems like this is a VERY common problem, and I have yet to find the actual solution!!! :evil:

I have TWO dvd drives, one generic DVD ROM and an HP dvd640. They have both worked in the past with ZERO problems.

But, now that I wanted to burn some pictures to DVD it just won't work. Heck, my A: drive stopped working too....but I somehow managed to fix that.

I re-installed windows (XP Home)....and of course I got carried away with installing some stuff before trying to troubleshoot the problem again....and they still don't bleeping work! :rolleyes:

NOTE: The only software I installed was software that posed no problems when the DVD drives were working properly!

So,
1) it isn't a dirty lens......both DVD players (player/burner) stopped working (with DVD's)
2) The DVD drive WILL read regular CD's
3) I've done all sorts of looking at registry edit fixes......no success (yet).
4) I've done all sorts of driver "uninstalls" and device unplugging and rebooting...no success (yet anyways)
5) Perhaps some sort of windows update has screwed with something? This is the only "foreign" software that may have installed during my do-over of my system....hmmmm.... :idea:

Well, I hope someone has the answer.....this problem seems too common to let go!

Thanks,
Chris

This might work for you guys.

Right Click on the drive icon> Properties> (under "recording" tab)
Click "Enable recording on this drive".

Hope this helps.

I had just the same problems as so many others - my DVD drive played music CDs fine but didn't even appear to detect a DVD when inserted so I was unable to watch films on my PC. I found, through Windows help, that if I started, for example, Windows Media Player and inserted the DVD it would recognise it and ask if I wanted to play the DVD and away I went! In other words, I couldn't get the autoplay function to work on the drive, but could get a film to play if I started Windows Media Player first. I hope that helps some of you. John

So, it just doesnt autoplay it when you stick it in your computer?

To enable autoplay, and choose what program it automaticaly opens up with when you stick a certain type of media in your drive, go to my computer, and right click on the drive, go to properties, and then to the autoplay tab at the top. In the drop down menu choose dvd, and you can select what you want it to do when you insert a dvd into your computer.

So, it just doesnt autoplay it when you stick it in your computer?

To enable autoplay, and choose what program it automaticaly opens up with when you stick a certain type of media in your drive, go to my computer, and right click on the drive, go to properties, and then to the autoplay tab at the top. In the drop down menu choose dvd, and you can select what you want it to do when you insert a dvd into your computer.

Thanks very much for your reply. I ought to have also said that I had tried this approach first, but for some reason my selection - autoplay dvd - through changing the properties of the drive just won't 'stick', so that's a continuing mystery. At least I have a way around the problem now though but if you have any thoughts on the continuing problem I'd be very pleased to hear them. Thanks again.

Media player doesn't recognize it. Mine is weird. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Most of the time it doesn't. I've tried all but the norton thing. I'm gonna try to do that now, but in the mean time...are there any other suggestions.

Have you been playing DVDs from various different regions? Maybe you have used up your 5 region changes under RPC2?

This might work for you guys.

Right Click on the drive icon> Properties> (under "recording" tab)
Click "Enable recording on this drive".

Hope this helps.

I cant find the "recording tab"
hmm..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.