Hey all.
Someone I know just bought a second hand PC with a 10 GB hard disk. In the same order they bought a 40 GB HD, but the PC, which is a Dell GX110 (I think) only has one drive bay. The system came preinstalled with XP Pro but the disk wasn't provided. Is there anyway to make a clean copy from the small HD to the bigger one without the need to re-install windows?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

If he bought the harddrive retail, it would have come with a disk that can mirror the information from the old drive to the new drive. If his didn't come with a disk, he may be able to get the same software by downloading it from the new harddrive's manufacturer's website. There are other ways such as using Norton Ghost, but these solutions usually entail spending money and learning complex software.

Even if he successfully "ghosts" the image from the old drive to the new drive, Windows may want to be reinstalled. XP has this nasty habit of needing to be reinstalled if any major changes were made to the hardware. Best of luck.

Just thought Id use this as i have a similar problem with only 1 bay.

I bought my desktop from dell years ago - would it still come with a disk? I cant find it so far but it came with stuff like a monitor setup disk. I dont understand how the disk can work - where can it store all that info? I have a windows xp disk.

Would it be possible to transfer the data from my computer (A) to another computer's (B) hard drive? Im guessing via ethernet or something - surely wireless would take days. I have about 35Gig of data and cd writer but not dvd writer. Or is it ideal to install my old hard disk on the other computer (B), transfer data, and then install the new hard disk on (B) to send it back and then move the new disk to (A)? If that's possible?

Thanks

Just thought Id use this as i have a similar problem with only 1 bay.

Hi Gawnio,

We actually ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_policies

Thanks for understanding.

Hey all.
Someone I know just bought a second hand PC with a 10 GB hard disk. In the same order they bought a 40 GB HD, but the PC, which is a Dell GX110 (I think) only has one drive bay. The system came preinstalled with XP Pro but the disk wasn't provided. Is there anyway to make a clean copy from the small HD to the bigger one without the need to re-install windows?

Hi guys.
Last year I had the same trouble. But I found an excellent backup program, using it, you could create an exact image of old HDD, burn it to CD/DVD, and restore onto new disk.
I did it quite easy and fast.
BTW, I didn't have to reinstall Windows.
:cool:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.