Hi Folks...I recently had the good fortune to be given an Athlon A7V8X-X by my nephew who has upgraded.

My old computer is an Acer Pentium 3 550. The Athlon fits beautifully in the case but my concern is that even though the power supply plug fits okay into the new mobo, that it may not be compatible...

I would appreciate any advise on this and any other tips anyone might have to make the transition without blowing anything up..

;) Cheers fillo

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Why would you be concerned that it wouldn't work? Is there anything you know about the power supply that might indicate that it wouldn't?

What is the brand and model number of the power supply?

G'day chrisbliss thanks for the reply.

My Current power supply according to the diagram on the floor of the box is an ATX NLX http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/form_ATX.htm

Apparently with this pin configuration http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/sup/parts_Motherboard.htm

However my Athlon manual says it requires an ATX power supply with this pin Configuration

+3.3 VDC | +3.3VCD
-12.0VDC | +3.3VDC
COM | COM
PS_ON# | +5.0VCD
COM | COM
COM | +5.0VCD
COM | COM
-5.0VCD | PWR_OK
+5.0VDC | +5VSB
+5.0VCD | +12.0VDC

As you can see it is virtually the same but a mirror. I guess this is where my concern lies..Do you know of anyone that has taken their old pentium out of their box and replaced it with an AMD?

Cheers fillo

If the cable fits, it should have the same pin configuration considering that they modify the pin shapes when the change pin configurations. So, my guess is that the old powersupply will work just fine with the new board. However, in order to make sure that you don't damage any components, I would recommend getting a newer powersupply just to err on the side of caution.

Thanks for that chrisbliss...will do, it always pays to play it safe

Cheers fillo

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.