Hey people.
Basically, what I want to do is detach my laptop's LCD screen and have it less that a meter away from the laptop itself.

The reason why I would like to do this is that I am constructing a small table, in which in the middle I plan to have the laptop monitor, and below the monitor, the laptop itsself, I am confident I can safely secure the monitor to the table however I do not know HOW to detatch the monitor, but still have it connected to the laptop.

Any help will be much appreciated.
:)

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Different laptops have different methods of gaining access to the screen connector. You haven't said what laptop it is!

Oh! Sorry, It's an Old Sony Vaio PCG-FX804, Thankss

Are you sure you want to do it? Sony's are a real pain to take apart!!

Ahh, I may aswell, Im up for a challenge :), The other option is to do it to an Elonex Onet+, however its not quite the size wanted :P

I can't be exactly sure as I haven't worked on that particular model, but I suspect you will have to completely strip it apart to seperate the screen from it.

My business partner and myself were talking about stripping down a lappy to make into a display (as in for marketing) only an hour ago! :)

[Edit] Just googled for a pic and I have worked on one of them. To get at the screen plug you remove the screw holding the purple panel just above the keyboard then the pannel slides and unhooks. beneath that, you should find the screen connector. The rest I'm a bit hazy on. I think you just have to undo a couple of screws from the bottom and the back of the hinges and the screen comes away.

Ahh, thanks alot!! And the screen connector, does it have wires or something I could extend? :)

I can't be %100 sure but I think it does. Make sure you insulate everything well as the voltage from the backlight inverter is quite high!

Ah okayy, thankss! And i'll be sure to :)

Let me know how you get on with your project! :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.