Hi all!

Someone left a monitor by a dumpster, and I couldn't resist the temptation to take it home and give it a try. Well, it actually (mostly) works! :) But it does have one problem. The display actually appears to curl into itself...like a 3D display. Pretty weird. This also means that the display only covers about 2/3rds of the screen, because part of the display curls back "underneath" the other part. Has any one seen anything like this? And can it be fixed somehow?

BTW, it's a Gateway 2000 Vivitron 15 inch, model # CPD-GF100.

Sure would be pretty sweet if I got a monitor for free...:cool:

Jonathan

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi all!

Someone left a monitor by a dumpster, and I couldn't resist the temptation to take it home and give it a try. Well, it actually (mostly) works! :) But it does have one problem. The display actually appears to curl into itself...like a 3D display. Pretty weird. This also means that the display only covers about 2/3rds of the screen, because part of the display curls back "underneath" the other part. Has any one seen anything like this? And can it be fixed somehow?

BTW, it's a Gateway 2000 Vivitron 15 inch, model # CPD-GF100.

Yeah, it's a decent Sony monitor -- but realize that I have seen these at trade shows, working, for about $25...

That having been said. how much do you know about electronics? Can you solder? The problem is a dried-out electrolytic capacitor. I don't understand why, after 25 years of the same problem, Sony couldn't design this out -- but they haven't. The problem should be relatively easy to detemine, if you have any electronics knowledge at all. If so, let me know -- I'll walk you through it.

Is the foldover (technical term) from top-to-bottom or side-to-side?

Wow! That would be great! I was really hoping that something would come of this, and I could actually learn something. :) Yeah, I've got quite a bit of experience in electronics and soldering...first as a hobby and now also in school/college.

The foldover is from top-to-bottom...or more actually, the bottom folds up towards the top.

Thank you very much!!

Jonathan

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.