Just bought a new 120gb WD hard drive. I plug it in, and Windows doesn't seem to recognise it. It pops up with "Found new Hardware", and the add hardware wizard simply says it is working properly. BIOS also shows the hard drive is there and working. Whats up? Do I need to format it?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Cup of Squirrel,

Yeah, sounds like it needs to be formatted.

J_

A quick way to format the drive is to right-click My Computer and select Manage. Select Disk Management under the Storage section on the left of the Computer Management console. Find the new drive on the right pane, right-click it, and select "Format...". From there, it's up to you on how you want to configure the new drive.

Just bought a new 120gb WD hard drive. I plug it in, and Windows doesn't seem to recognise it. It pops up with "Found new Hardware", and the add hardware wizard simply says it is working properly. BIOS also shows the hard drive is there and working. Whats up? Do I need to format it?

Did you ever get your hard drive problem fixed.

I am having the same exact problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.