Hello,
I recently attempted to reinstall windows and would recieve corrupted or missing file messeges that would discontinue process and only allow me to restart.
So I got the bright idea to run a all zero's kill disk but still receive messeages:intelide.sys, file i386/biosinfo.inf could not be located- error code 4096, and INF filetxtsetup.sif is corrupted or missing-error 4096 apon reloading windows.
Now I have a dead machine that I depretly need working. What can I do? Do I need to reload my BIOS driver? If so how do I do that? Thanks, NRS.

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

Hello,

It is entirely possible that you have a hardware failure on your hard disk. Think of a record player and a record with a large gash acrossed it. That can happen on a hard drive, and no matter how many times you try to format it, you will be in rough shape.

With the drive giving you this much trouble, I would go and get another hard drive from your favorite computer store. It sounds to me you have invested enough time trying to get this one to fly, and it is not cooperating.

Christian

Who makes your hard drive? first thing I would do would go to there website and download ther utility for formating hard disk there is normally an option to do a low level format ie,..(write zeros to the drive) and check for errors there is also a scan to mark bad sectors and even clusters. try this first if you have some time it does take a while but it can work.

Can you boot from cd rom or the system is completely dead ??

I can boot from a cd. Just displays error once I begin the format. Thanks, nrs

I can boot from a cd. Just displays error once I begin the format. Thanks, nrs

Make one last atempt b4 buying a new HDD.
Deassemble ur system discharge each and every component on the board by touching the pins with a screw driver, remove the bios chip, again put it in, change the cmos battery, change the IDE cable, try reinstalling windows. This method worked for me many time. Once i faced a problem, whenever i tried to install windows i got a message dll file missing, i reformated and installed again but still i got the same mssg. I followed the above technique and it really worked for me. Remember changing the IDE cable and discharging the MB Components is very imp. Try it

Hello,
I recently attempted to reinstall windows and would recieve corrupted or missing file messeges that would discontinue process and only allow me to restart.
So I got the bright idea to run a all zero's kill disk but still receive messeages:intelide.sys, file i386/biosinfo.inf could not be located- error code 4096, and INF filetxtsetup.sif is corrupted or missing-error 4096 apon reloading windows.
Now I have a dead machine that I depretly need working. What can I do? Do I need to reload my BIOS driver? If so how do I do that? Thanks, NRS.

maybe you need to delete all your partitions and then repartition before you format. do a web search on the ultimate boot disk & get someone to burn it onto a cd for you.it has all the tools you need.

sounds like you need a new HDD

A quick and easy way to determeine if the hard drive is the problem is to install it into another computer and try to format it. Another option (as one of the other answers suggested) is to run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility. However, if the IDE cable is the problem the hard drive may fail the diagnostics even if the drive is still good. Check your IDE cables amd make sure they are seated correctly on the connectors.

You can format all the harddisk except for the one with windows in it. By setting virtual memory to "no paging file" on the hard disk you wanted to format.

Doing that by open "hardware manager" under "Advance" tab, Performance, setting, Advance tab, then click "Change" Then has to restart.

Hope this help also don't forget to change it back after formating. It kinda amaze me that noone mention this technic before : )

You can format all the harddisk except for the one with windows in it. By setting virtual memory to "no paging file" on the hard disk you wanted to format.

Doing that by open "hardware manager" under "Advance" tab, Performance, setting, Advance tab, then click "Change" Then has to restart.

Hope this help also don't forget to change it back after formating. It kinda amaze me that noone mention this technic before : )

Besides this thread being...mmm, like 5 years old, the so-called 'technic' you mentioned is nothing special nor even necessary. First of, in Windows, you either use Computer Management console (right-click 'My Computer > Manage > Disk Manager) or Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc > OK) not 'hardware manager'.

Secondly, you can format any partition or additional hard drives without even disabling Virtual Memory aka pagefile.sys as long as the Windows system or boot files do not reside on that particular partition(s).

As someone else mentioned (5 years ago), the original poster's hard drive was more than like kaput. Zero-fill process doesn't fix bad sectors or anything mechanical.

But hey, thank you for sharing your 'technic' with the rest of us. Who knows, someone might benefit from it.
=)

Besides this thread being...mmm, like 5 years old, the so-called 'technic' you mentioned is nothing special nor even necessary. First of, in Windows, you either use Computer Management console (right-click 'My Computer > Manage > Disk Manager) or Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc > OK) not 'hardware manager'.

Secondly, you can format any partition or additional hard drives without even disabling Virtual Memory aka pagefile.sys as long as the Windows system or boot files do not reside on that particular partition(s).

As someone else mentioned (5 years ago), the original poster's hard drive was more than like kaput. Zero-fill process doesn't fix bad sectors or anything mechanical.

But hey, thank you for sharing your 'technic' with the rest of us. Who knows, someone might benefit from it.
=)

I was trying to format the harddisk, and google just sent me here. And since there is no info on how to do it. So I found the answer myself and post it

Since you know about the computer management thing why didn't you post it and save me sometime on figuring out how : )

Also the Windows was paging on my harddisk like 2GB so the when I format it the windows just say it was in use. And I think the problem is just for the Windows XP

at first repleased the ram then try, if its not working so bay a new hdd ok

commented: Useles advice 6 months late -4
commented: Ram has nothing to do with hard drive. Useless advise -2

try with other hdd cable,ram it will be not work then replased the hdd

If it is an external harddisk it will show you al the pertions but will not open then; as it will promise to do so if you format the HDD.

But, if it is not the cable or it is not an external HDD then ;

• boot from a windows XP disk
  • enter recovery console
  • run Fixmbr \device\harddisk0
  • when it finish fixing master boot record run "chkdsk drive:" [optional]
  • then try formating again

it worked for me several times.

the hardisk cannot format try his method replace the HDD to the computer then try to connect to other pc make a flash drive then try to access booth drives if partition then accessing the drive c and d or e when you see one of the drive is appearing formatted yes or no the format it then back again to the HDD to thier former . then try to format using bootable..

I know there has been many people with this problem, however I have not been able to find how to solve this!

im using dell inspiron 1525 window vista basic..it asks me to go to use the previous working condition, safe start up etc and when I try to it comes up with the following;

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.

File: \Windows\system32\drivers\intelide.sys

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing or corrupt

I tried to use my reinstall disk but after pressing F8 it still will not start the disc...I have tried to no avail but it still will not work!!!

Please help me.. this is my email add - kramnick144@yahoo.com thanks

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.