Hello everyone! I recently bought a PC from Planet Computors for $2500 dollars. My old rig was a really bad eMachines. I was looking at the new Nvidia GeForce 7800 GTX 512 MB, I was just like .. wow ... if I had the money. So I know that my card is MUCH worse then that, and a lot worse then the 7800 GTX. The main reason I got this new pc, was to play F.E.A.R. and almost max settings. Do you think that ofter my PC comes in the mail, that I should sell the current video card in there for like 200 bucks. And buy the 7800 GTX, or the 512 MB one ...

I have a AMD 64 4000+ Processor, and if I remeber correctly the power supply is 450 Watts.

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Wow... Just wow...

So let me understand.

1. You haven't even tried running the machine yet, but you are planning on upgrading it based on specs alone?
2. You spent $2500 (a rediculously large amount of money to spend for a system now-a-days) on a machine that you believe is inadequate to run a current game?

I don't mean to sound rude or mean, but it sounds like you did no planning when you purchased the machine, which is the equivalent of throwing money into the wind.

The first thing I recommend is at least trying the machine out before selling yourself on buying additional components.

If you try the machine out and find that it is not fully adequate to meet your expectations but is still able to run the games you want to run, I'd recommend waiting a few months (since prices on new video cards usually plummet fairly rapidly) before trying to sell the 6800 and buying the 7800. If you wait, the potential loses from selling the 6800 will be smaller than the price savings on the 7800.

In the end, the decision is up to you. I never spend more than $1000 on a box (I build my own) since anything more than that is spent paying the premium price of new tech. However, I know that many of the gamers and computer users out there simply must have the newest tech. If that is you, and you can't stand the idea that you aren't getting the best possible graphics available, by all means, buy the new card.

Sorry, this computer was on wholesale, and I cannot customize it. It was the best PC from the price of the computer. I know its extremly good, but im talking like next-gen games.

And no I can stand having a graphics card that isnt up to date. I would wait till the next one is out, and then by the one I wanted. Then the price is usually a LOT cheaper.

You also have to understand that my current PC ... is not even able to run games ... of this gen, and some of last gen. I had to get a new pc, new speakers, new monitor, mouse, keyboard. I needed the works. I have been saving up for a while now, and then I got this pc ... which from the spec + price I think it fairly well....

I just havnt tried any video card over a Raedon 9250, so I have no idea what runs what ...

You have a 6800GT? You're better off than most! It's still a great card that's more than capable of handling whatever you throw at it.

You have a 6800GT? You're better off than most! It's still a great card that's more than capable of handling whatever you throw at it.

yea .. i thought it sucked O_o

If a 6800GT sucks, what is good?

I just built a machine with a 6600 in it, and I think the thing cooks. Maybe I'm just not a very good judge.

If a 6800GT sucks, what is good?

I just built a machine with a 6600 in it, and I think the thing cooks. Maybe I'm just not a very good judge.

Lucky you guys Im still running a Intel GMA 900 which is a piece of crap!

Hmm, still can't paly F.E.A.R. on full settings >.<

I think ill get the GeForece 7800 GTX 512 when the price lowers to about $500.

Hmm, still can't paly F.E.A.R. on full settings >.<

I think ill get the GeForece 7800 GTX 512 when the price lowers to about $500.

I can't play a fully tricked out F.E.A.R. at what I think is a decent framerate, and that's on a 7800GTX!

I really think you should wait for another generation before considering an upgrade. Otherwise you're just throwing money away. ;)

I was just gunna wait till I the 512 droped in price

Can I Sli a 6800 and a 7800 or not?

thanks for teh link

So I should get another Nvidia 6800 GT

Would that make is about as good as a Nvidia 7800 GtX or better? I would assume better, but I just recently got into video cards ...

So it would be better to sell my 6800 and get a 7800 if I want a gfx boost?

No, it would be better to hang onto your still-stupidly-powerful card and maybe sacrifice a bit of image quality for a smoother gameplay experience.

Mind you, if you've got the money to toss around, don't let me stop you! I just think a step from a 6800GT to something in the 7800 range is a total waste of money.

No, it would be better to hang onto your still-stupidly-powerful card and maybe sacrifice a bit of image quality for a smoother gameplay experience.

Mind you, if you've got the money to toss around, don't let me stop you! I just think a step from a 6800GT to something in the 7800 range is a total waste of money.

Hmm, maybe wait till the next 512 AFTER the 7800 is out?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.