I just bought a refurbished Toshiba Tecra 9000 Laptop. It works fine except when I try to use it on battery power. When I try to boot it with batter power I receive this message:
NMI: Channel Check / IOCHK . Anyone have an idea on this? The battery charges but as I say it will not operate on battery power.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi dspatola,

Welcome to Daniweb!

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum-- The Community Introductions Forum is for just that: introducing yourself. Here, you'll get more attention. Good luck! :)

Hello dspatola,
This is not a technical Thraed. So post you Question into related thread.

I have noticed a few posts about similar issues on the web. My own TEcra 9100 has now stated doing this. I am wondering if the battery is simply shot and needs replacing? I wonder if anyone else knows the solution here?

I just bought a refurbished Toshiba Tecra 9000 Laptop. It works fine except when I try to use it on battery power. When I try to boot it with batter power I receive this message:
NMI: Channel Check / IOCHK . Anyone have an idea on this? The battery charges but as I say it will not operate on battery power.

Thanks!

I have a Toshiba Tecra 9100 that gives me the same error. I called Toshiba tech and they said to take it to an authorized dealer. Have you solved this problem yet? and if so, how did you do so.

Thanks

ely0569

Further research has revealed that this is a known Tecra 9000/9100 problem...."some of the internal screws have to be replaced with floating screws, and bits of plastic mounts have to be cut out, its basically a design flaw on this series, but the fix does sort the fault out once and for all. There's a toshiba bulletin for it, Bulletin No: TCR-0312"

I got this from another forum here:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/579009962631/m/121001123631

Unfortunately I cant find the TCR-0312 bulletin. Maybe you can at least get a quote from a Toshiba dealer; sounds like it should be a fairlt cheap repair to do; just a few new floating screws.

Hi,

with great intrest I read your posting and I was wondering if someone finally got the Toshiba Bulletin or some further information which screws have to be exchanged?! I have two broken Tecra 9100 and I would really like to get them running again as they are really nice machines.

Regards

Joerg

Further to my original post, I called up Toshiba who confirmed that I was out of warranty, and that I would have to pay for the repair. They would collect it, give me a quote, and if I didnt like it, they would charge me £35+VAT for their trouble.

However, I did mention that this was a known fault with this model, and amazingly when it came to it, they did the repair free of charge, under the "expired" warranty.

The laptop is totally fine now on battery, and its also cured a problem of ocasiionally freezing when on main power as well.

I don't know why they didnt charge me in the end - perhaps because it is a known design fault they let me of?? Who knows - I didnt want to ring up and question this, in case they changed their minds!

Good luck folks!

Try (while plugged in) uninstalling the Toshiba Power saver (or similar name) in "add and remove programs" Toshiba has their own power/battery monitor that seems to die after some of the windows updates. The windows power/battery monitor works fine.
Good luck.

My Tecra 9000 at the age of 10 years started to blue screen when I touched the pointer or used the keyboard while on battery power. It ran fine on household current. I did the motherboard alteration--clipping the pins and moving the board slightly forward, but that helped only for a short while. I then disassembled the machine again taking care to unplug and replug both ends for the internal 4-pin power cable between the two halves of the motherboard. It worked fine after that. I suspect that the internal power connections became somewhat oxidized over the years and were not transferring the slightly lower battery voltage well enough. So the problem may have been just the power cable issue and not the motherboard position.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.