I am having troubles with my presarion 700 laptop. With the battery removed and AC plugged in I hit the power button and can hear everything turn on and lights light up and fans are on, but nothing is on my screen!!!! The cd-rom lights are working and I can open the drive tray just no picture. I have the directions to disassembly of the laptop and have completely taken it apart (very carefully) and placed everything exactly right back together to no luck of helping anything. Someone please help! I know my way around computers pretty well but this has me dumbfounded! :eek:

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Check out the troubleshooting section for your model laptop on HP's website. This is a known problem with several models of HP / Compaq laptops. Their advice is to upgrade the BIOS but that can't be done if the laptop won't post. Have you tried connecting the laptop to an external monitor to see if it is an LCD backlight problem? Try that and if you get a POST display then you have an LCD problem (either the backlight or the LCD close switch). If you still don't get a display try the following steps.
1. Remove battery
2. Disconnect AC adapter
3. Press and hold the power switch for 15 to 20 seconds
4. Connect the AC adapter and try to start the laptop.
If this works, check the BIOS and update if needed. If this doesn't work, try the same steps but remove the memory before pressing and holding the power switch (Step 3) and reinstall the memory before Step 4. If you still have no luck, you may want to try to check the processor. The 700s have been known to suffer from processor failures due to overheating. If your laptop has an AMD processor and you have access to a desktop computer with a later model Socket 462 processor socket, you should be able to test your processor with it. Just verify the motherboard will support your processor first. Hope this helps.

Check out the troubleshooting section for your model laptop on HP's website. This is a known problem with several models of HP / Compaq laptops. Their advice is to upgrade the BIOS but that can't be done if the laptop won't post. Have you tried connecting the laptop to an external monitor to see if it is an LCD backlight problem? Try that and if you get a POST display then you have an LCD problem (either the backlight or the LCD close switch). If you still don't get a display try the following steps.
1. Remove battery
2. Disconnect AC adapter
3. Press and hold the power switch for 15 to 20 seconds
4. Connect the AC adapter and try to start the laptop.
If this works, check the BIOS and update if needed. If this doesn't work, try the same steps but remove the memory before pressing and holding the power switch (Step 3) and reinstall the memory before Step 4. If you still have no luck, you may want to try to check the processor. The 700s have been known to suffer from processor failures due to overheating. If your laptop has an AMD processor and you have access to a desktop computer with a later model Socket 462 processor socket, you should be able to test your processor with it. Just verify the motherboard will support your processor first. Hope this helps.

I tried hooking it up to a working external monitor, but that still did not work...it was blank too. I also tried removing the memory etc. that you suggested but nada is working. Soemthing weird going on because I think the monitor is fine, I am worried there is some connection gone bad on the motherboard. I was not able to test my processor though because I have no dektop to try it on.

Reseating the processor may help. Make sure you get the socket locked properly and be careful not to damage any pins. You should also use a new thermat transfer pad or new heatsink grease before you reinstall the heatsink / fan assembly.

I had the same problem. (I needed to knock on the upside sometimes ;-)

Possible sulution: Since I removed the modem-card the system starts and works perfect .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.