I have a computer that seemingly has a blown power supply. When I connect power to it, the internal fan of the it doesn't even turn. No power at all... But the little light on the front of the computer comes on. That's it. Just that light. No fans. Nothing else. Like I said, not even the internal fan of the power supply itself turns... So is it dead? Or can I save this?

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

I opened it up, cleaned it out with compressed air and checked the fuse. It's fine.

Please tell us what make and model?
Is it a Laptop?

You tried without the Battery in, if a Laptop?

Oh, sorry. It's a desktop PC. The power supply itself says POWER MAN with a model number of FSP250-60GTA.

if you can,

Open the PC, then disconnect the power cable of all the components, HDD, CD/DVD drives and soo on.

Just leave the Motherboard connected.

See if it boot's or any sign of life.

The fan over the processor twitches, and like I said the power light comes on. That's it.

you got another machine to try that CPU with fan.

Sounds like PSU, but best to rule out motherboard and CPU.

Do you have another PSU?

No... I'm trying to get a hold of one now.

to test your psu, you can short the green wire to a black one
leave the psu plugged in the moboard, but take a paperclip and jam it in the green wire slot and any ground wire slot(black). this will bypass your motherboard and the psu fan should spin when you press the power button.

i've never actually done it myself, but when i read about it online,it sounds like an easy way to test.

also, some psus have atest button, you probably would have already seen it though.

Skilly

Stop posting unhelpful post's

go ahead and report me if you want to, Bal

i am here to learn AND share what i know
if you don't like what i have to say, then give me a good explanation

when i thought i had a bad psu, i would've loved to try this short-circuit test
(i might even try it out myself with my spare computer parts just to see if it works)

did stupendousomega tell you my post is unhelpful? or are you just picking on me?

Skilly

I am not picking on you, you have constantly searching online and posting anything people have said.

If you done this test yourself or solved the other types of issues here, then I wouldn't have pointed this out.

I would not recommend short-circuiting anything unless you know what you doing.

People come here for help, and if you want to learn, please go through previous solved post's or make a thread and ask question's.

thanks for the advice, bal

i'll let you get back to business

I really don't want to intentionally short my PSU while it's plugged into my motherboard. It's just a bad idea.

to test your psu, you can short the green wire to a black one
leave the psu plugged in the moboard, but take a paperclip and jam it in the green wire slot and any ground wire slot(black). this will bypass your motherboard and the psu fan should spin when you press the power button.

i've never actually done it myself, but when i read about it online,it sounds like an easy way to test.

also, some psus have atest button, you probably would have already seen it though.

this is the best advice yet .it just needs to be refined to explain the procedure better ,there are pictures on line ,like this one.
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?34941-Guide-to-testing-problematic-power-supplies.

and yes i have done this many time myself ,then i bought a psu tester

commented: agree +2

Yes, it's a valid test if you are upto doing.

I normally would have made sure, with what I already said to test, which is, disconnect all devices to rule anythign else out.

The only connect the motherboard.

If it still fails, then it's disconnecting the motherboard cable and testing just a case fan.

Failign all that, as both of you have said, you can test by other mean's, tester or shortcircuit.

I don't using that word when you maybe talkign to a non-tech person as it scares them.

Easiest thing is to show them, like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXzrCr0RLm4

Hope it helps

is this thread solved yet?

Yes, it's a valid test if you are upto doing.

tester or shortcircuit.

its just bypassing what the switch does,not that big a deal really .

for safty reasons maybe the OP should take the computer to a repair shop ,if they don't have the ability to follow simple instructions and saftly fix it themselfs

Well the OP said they gonna try another PSU.

Not everyone on here is a Techie and if you keep saying, take to a Pro, then why come here for advice.

Skilly never clearly explained in-depth the test, and you clearly have which I made easier by showing in a Video format.

People come here for advice and you can;t expect them to start taking things apart, if they don't know what they doing.

Will need to hear back from the OP.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.