Can someone plz help me with my computer. I have a problem, i have 2 drives, and one is a DVD-RAM/RW drive and another is a CD-RW/R drive. The problem is that when windows starts it doesnt show them in "My Computer" and when i look at the BIOS screen thing it does show them, but cant run them when windows starts. So does anyone know how to fix this?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Are the drives listed in Device Manager, and if so, are they reported to be working properly?

Also- there is a documented problem with "disappearing" CD/DVD devices in Windows. Please see this post for more info and a possible solution.

Are the drives listed in Device Manager, and if so, are they reported to be working properly?

Also- there is a documented problem with "disappearing" CD/DVD devices in Windows. Please see this post for more info and a possible solution.

it shows them, but it says that the drivers are currupted or missing, and i dont know were to get them at. anyone can help em?

Please post the exact errors from Device Manager, including the error codes (if they're given).
If you read the Microsoft article referenced in the post I linked to above, you'll see that certain CD/DVD driver errors in Device Manager are indicative of the Registry problem described in the article. The problem will not be fixed by reinstalling the drivers.

ok this is what it says on Device manager when i click on both drives properties:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

Error 39 is one of the error codes associated with the Registry issue I've mentioned, and the fact that you're getting the error for both drives simultaneously makes it less likely that the drivers are truly corrupt or missing.

Please read and follow the instructions in the Microsoft article I linked to carefully; if you find "upperfilters" and/or "lowerfilters" entries in your Registry, there's a very good chance that the described fix will work. Please ask questions before doing anything that you are unsure of though, as incorrectly editing the Registry can make matters worse.

ok i opened regedit and when to the registry location it said and removed all upper and lower filers, but didnt help.
what do i do now?

-edit

nvm!!! i restarted and now they do show up! thx alot man! love ya!

Pretty obscure little bug, isn't it?
Glad we could help you get it sorted :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.