Hi
I've not been on for quite a while.
I'm going to have a new and bigger hard drive installed and I was wondering if I can have the old drive conected up as an external drive or are they special types of drives.

Bill
:-| :-|

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hard to tell much with this info. There are special kinds of drives, but most machines for the past years use IDE drives. Look at the ribbon cable that comes out of the existing hard drive, is there another connector on it? Will it fit the new drive?

If so, make sure you set the jumpers for the new drive to Slave and give it a whirl. DON'T hook it up with the machine running though ;-)

Usually thats all you need to do with windows, though sometime you have to play with the BIOS. If linux you'll need to mount it where you want it.

Hi
I've not been on for quite a while.
I'm going to have a new and bigger hard drive installed and I was wondering if I can have the old drive conected up as an external drive or are they special types of drives.

Bill
:-| :-|

It's easy to make a standard internal drive and external drive. Check out the enclosure options offered at Newegg. If you have any questions about them, just let me know.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.