Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

My case fan from antec has a 4 pin molex. I want to connect it to the mobod to be able to control the speed with the mobod controller but need a 3 pin. Is there a way to do this?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I beleive there would be some sort of an adapter but im noy entirely sure... google for Molex Adpaters

yes there are, and you can buy them for about $5. Honestly though, if you have an old 3 pin fan just cut the wires cut the wires on your 4 pin fan and connect the 4 pin fan to the 3 pin adapter. It works like a charm (ive done this about a dozen times). Or if you want to spend money you are best off buying a cheapo fan off newegg for about $5 that has an adapter with it (many do).

Be VERY careful, though-- sometimes you can pull too much amperage through the fan, and ruin your motherboard because you sent too many amps through it.

If you've got a 4-pin fan, just buy a fan controller, and control the speed manually. They're not all that expensive, and you can usually control more than one fan with them. I've got one in a 5.25" bay that controls 4 fans from one spot.

Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

I just bought a new 3 pin fan and solved the problem much cheaper. All done.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.