I bought a lot of RAM, 20 sticks, for some desktops that I'm rebuilding. Rebuilding as on upgrading, as most or all work. I put in 2 1Gb sticks (Samsung k4h510438b-TCB3) into some d51s desktops. The max should be 2 1gb's at or around 333mhz but the computer would not boot. It turns on and the lights all flash like normal but will not even show the boot screen. So I put in the old RAM after fildleing around with the 1gb sticks like changes out which dimm sockets and it booted up. These were just 2 256mb sticks (hyb25d256800bt-6). They both should be the same speed too, that's what I don't understand. If I messed upped somewhere please tell me where. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Pull the battery from the motherboard, install the new ram, refit the battery then go into the bios and set the bios to optimum settings. Save and exit then see if it will boot.

Make certain you have the power off first :).

I'll try when I get home, I tried to quickly do the reset but it may work too. Funny you said to remember to have power off as I know precautions but I was really getting anxious yesterday trying this and I fried a bored (sweet smell of smoke. With that, a chip smoked like I said when messing with RAM while it was on (stupid of me and I know it) but then I tried to restart it and it beeped as if no RAM? Why did something like this happen / what causes it?

Why did something like this happen / what causes it?

if you have to ask that question ,maybe you shouldn't be playing with electricity

No, I know somewhat why, but didn't know if a certian chip overloaded due to sending a charge to a thought to be closed circuit but then being open.

Well I got home and tried but no luck with the desktops. Still the same problem

Pull the battery from the motherboard, install the new ram, refit the battery then go into the bios and set the bios to optimum settings. Save and exit then see if it will boot.

Make certain you have the power off first :).

This did not work for me, any other suggestions?

Try a single stick of RAM and see if it will run.

Already have.

Compaq's' like Dells are very fussy when it comes to ram type

So... what should I do? Any certain reason why this is having issues? Everything I could find was compatible...

More than likely the BIOS version that is preventing it from working.
As CJ said, Compaq and Dell (amongst others) prefer you use proprietary hardware.

Is there any new BIOS updates that fix these issues?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.