when hooking my g/f's laptop up to our TV to watch movies and stuff we can't get any sound to come through the TV. I know we had it working once before but it's been so long ago I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. It's a Dell XPS Gen 1 w/ XP Pro SP2, 1 GB RAM, 128mb ATI RADEON 9700 graphics card if that helps.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

The round S-VHS/ S Video lead does not carry any sound output. Simply RGB Video signals. (Red Green Blue, think thats what Stands for anyway)
You need to connect up via the Audio output with a 3.5mm Jack plug to a stereo phone plug. If you are using a scart coverter then it connects to the same scart.
If the TV has the round S VHS connection then its the two phone ports next to that.

If you have some other form of video out, like some of the Vaio laptops the a 3.5mm jack plug to tripple phono works well. Although its not a true S video output as it all signals are sent via a single terminal.

The round S-VHS/ S Video lead does not carry any sound output. Simply RGB Video signals. (Red Green Blue, think thats what Stands for anyway)
You need to connect up via the Audio output with a 3.5mm Jack plug to a stereo phone plug. If you are using a scart coverter then it connects to the same scart.
If the TV has the round S VHS connection then its the two phone ports next to that.

If you have some other form of video out, like some of the Vaio laptops the a 3.5mm jack plug to tripple phono works well. Although its not a true S video output as it all signals are sent via a single terminal.

The ONLY audio port on her laptop is the earphone jack... what kind of adapters do they make for that which could hook up to an A/V plug (the audio plug) for my RF Adapter?

ok, I guess I definatly needed to be more specific but I did figure part of the problem out... the adapter I'm using is a S-Video A/V splitter that came w/ her laptop. Both Dell Tech and Radio Shack told me that I needed a Y splitter for the audio which I bought. (backtracking ... the adapter has the standard S-Video 6 prong port that plugs into the comp then on the other end is an adapter w/ a yellow Video plug and a black Audio plug and a 4 prong S-Video port). However, I still cannot get the audio to play through to the TV and I tested the cables and my RF modulator by hooking up my DVD player and I get the sound to work fine so it's neither of those. Could it be the S-Video adapter is bad? Like I said before ... the sound USED to work through the TV.... but that's been 8 - 9 months ago then we didn't use it for about 7 months now it doesn't work.

The ONLY audio port on her laptop is the earphone jack... what kind of adapters do they make for that which could hook up to an A/V plug (the audio plug) for my RF Adapter?

ok, I guess I definatly needed to be more specific but I did figure part of the problem out... the adapter I'm using is a S-Video A/V splitter that came w/ her laptop. Both Dell Tech and Radio Shack told me that I needed a Y splitter for the audio which I bought. (backtracking ... the adapter has the standard S-Video 6 prong port that plugs into the comp then on the other end is an adapter w/ a yellow Video plug and a black Audio plug and a 4 prong S-Video port). However, I still cannot get the audio to play through to the TV and I tested the cables and my RF modulator by hooking up my DVD player and I get the sound to work fine so it's neither of those. Could it be the S-Video adapter is bad? Like I said before ... the sound USED to work through the TV.... but that's been 8 - 9 months ago then we didn't use it for about 7 months now it doesn't work.

They sell a 3.5" headphone jack plug cable that splits to a red and white cable on the other end for the sound. Every electronics store will cary them and this what you need.

They sell a 3.5" headphone jack plug cable that splits to a red and white cable on the other end for the sound. Every electronics store will cary them and this what you need.

ok, I bought one and hooked it up and still have no sound through the tv. what am I doing wrong??

on the tv, you have to hook up the audio jacks to the corresponding video jack that has the series of connections containing the svideo port. ie, if it you are using video out 1 you need to have your audio and video in video out 1.

I'm using a RF adapter and it's set to Channel 3 (no video channels) which is the same channel my dvd player uses and both audio and video work fine for the dvd player.

Basically, I have the S-Video adapter that splits into 2 ports (yellow = video / black = unknown / not using). The yellow cord brings in the video perfect. For the audio I used the 3.5 jack into red / white audio. All 3 are plugged into my RF adapter which is plugged into the tv. Hope that makes more sense otherwise I'll have to post pictures.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.