HI All
G3 original iMac w 500Mb Ram/ OS 9.2 Thinking of upgrade to Tiger. Advisable? Too slow? Will my old Pre OS 9 Legacy stuff still work?
Is there a site or archive about doing this upgrade?
regards
Stu Aull

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

If it's an original iMac, I don't think you can install Tiger on it without something like XPostFacto. Tiger's specs say they require a built-in Firewire port. Do you have that, is it a slot-loading Mac?

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html

Do you have enough disk space?

IMO, if you COULD install Tiger on your iMac, it would be far too slow.

A better thought is installing Panther. It'll be pretty fast and usable. As long as you don't erase the drive and remove OS9, most of your legacy stuff should work through "Classic".

Before you do anything, make damn sure your firmware is up to date.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

In case it helps, the retailer who sold me my slot-loading G3 iMac with 9.0.3 told me yesterday that I can upgrade to OS 10.3, but not to 10.4 or higher because I don't have a Firewire port and that port can't be added to my iMac.
I've also learned that my web browser (Internet Explorer) won't work with OS 10. Don't know yet if that applies to my e-mail and word processing apps.

In case it helps, the retailer who sold me my slot-loading G3 iMac with 9.0.3 told me yesterday that I can upgrade to OS 10.3, but not to 10.4 or higher because I don't have a Firewire port and that port can't be added to my iMac.
I've also learned that my web browser (Internet Explorer) won't work with OS 10. Don't know yet if that applies to my e-mail and word processing apps.

I have an Imac 400, 1994 vintage loaded with osx Tiger plus a vast ammount of software ie. Adobe cs suite ++
350 ram, 20gb hd,
ALL WORKS SUBERBLY !!

hi:cheesy:

If you LUV your Imac and it is a tray loading Imac without a firewire port then: you can spend some money. You can buy upgrade cards that include firewire ports/support. If you have a slot loading Imac then load-away. The reason I cap LUV is that you can buy on Ebay(or elsewhere) a smorgasboard of Imacs that will support Tiger right out of the bubble wrap. Or(If you are REALLY patient) you can buy an upgrade card on Ebay used. The only irony here is that tray loaders, as a group, can actually be upgraded to faster cpu's much more easlily then the slot loaders that I referenced above. I believe Powerlogic actually sold a 900 mhz g-3 upgrade card for tray loaders that, while now discontinued, must have made a rocking tray loader.

I have an imac g3 slot-loader w/ 400 mhz cpu and 384 mb ram and it is running Mac OS X 10.4.11 with ease, just disable all wigets in dashboard and it should run just dandy, but as yellow said before, make damn sure your firmware is up to date.

I have certain reservations regarding Tiger so I advice better not to do so

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.