Ok, i have a Dell Dimension XPS from like '97 or '98 its got a 6 gig hd right now and an intell pentum 2 with like a 500mhz mother board, also it was made for windows 95 but i have windows 98 on it, now i need to know can this computer support a new bigger harddrive and a better mother board?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Yeah id think a new HD would be do-able but a new motherboard.....probably not knowing how these companies do all that proprietary stuff.

for the cost of computers now a days ive seen on pricewatch a complete system for about $300 for like a 1.6ghz system....even tho they come with some kind of crappy stuff...it would be a big step up from a 500mhz machine ;)

Depends on what you want to use it for... but a computer like that makes a nice little home server, or Linux Firewall, or File Server even.

I am running a P2 Celeron 300mhz with Windows 2000 Server...just fine. It is operating as my oracle 8i & SQL 2000 databases, as well as my http/web server....

Not the speediest, but till the P4 3.06 drops, and the 800 FSB boards are out...I am waiting to spend my money on a new system..

Get a promise ultra 133 controller and a new Harddrive.
Also max out the ram on the motherboard. (probably somewhere
around 512-768MB is standard on those)

If you want to upgrade the motherboard, you're most likely
going to have to buy a new case. (go Antec or equivilent, cheap
cases SUCK)

Just adding more ram and a faster harddrive on a supported
IDE chipset is a HUGE increase in speed.
Most people don't NEED more than 500mhz except for games
and work applications.

I have a Dell Dimension XPS from like '97 or '98 its got a 6 gig hd right now and an intell pentum 2 with like a 500mhz mother board, also it was made for windows 95 but i have windows 98 on it, now i need to know can this computer support a new bigger harddrive and a better mother board?

Bigger HD, yes--new motherboard, no. Dell is proprietary all the way. Ouside of a processor upgrade to a Pentium III and the controller upgrade mentioned above (the stock BX chipset only supports ATA 33), it will be easier and cheaper to build a new system from scratch than to try to upgrade a Dell. Besides, the power supply does not meet current standards (the Pentium 4 and Athlon chips require more power)--and that's proprietary too...

Bigger HD, yes--new motherboard, no. Dell is proprietary all the way. Ouside of a processor upgrade to a Pentium III and the controller upgrade mentioned above (the stock BX chipset only supports ATA 33), it will be easier and cheaper to build a new system from scratch than to try to upgrade a Dell. Besides, the power supply does not meet current standards (the Pentium 4 and Athlon chips require more power)--and that's proprietary too...

I like you're avatar TallCool.

Also, let this be a lesson to you; don't buy Dell -- the only people you want building you your computers is Apple.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.