Hello guys
I am new at this website, and before posting I've been reading some posts trying to find if someone had my problem before.
I have this PC that do not boot meaning it doesnt show anything on the screen. Not even the POST.
All the lights are on, the fans are working: cooler and processor.
But, the drives are not responding (not spinning or ejecting).
What should I try?
You can redirect me to any post I might have missed.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Please describe the brand and model of computer, or motherboard. Then tell us the age and brand of hard drive if you know.
It sounds as if your hard drive is bad. Does it show up in the BIOS as a detected hard drive when you first boot? If the drive is not detected, it is likely dead.
You might want to try another drive just to see if it spins in that computer. If it works and the old one does not, a drive replacement may be in order.
Do you have a recovery disc set or a copy of windows to run a reformat and reinstall? Do you need to try to save your data first?
I see that a lot of time has gone by so this problem is likely resolved. If so, sorry for the delayed post.

Hi

Please check and make sure you have the jumpers on the cd-rom set to slave and the jumper on the Hard drive set to master. For each IDE cable (thich flat grey one) you must have a Master and a slave... the system will not run with two masters.

HTH
Darren
South Africa

If you have just put this machine together check to be sure that you IDE cabel is installed properly, the two connectors at one end go to the drives, the other goes to the motherboard. If this is reversed it will cause this problem.

Hi, thanks for your answer.
Yeah, I know its been a quite long, and guess what? I still have the same problem.
I actually tried your approach, I thought it was the hard disk, and switched with one that works, and still dead.
I gotta tell you...when I power on this PC, everything spins, the processor, fans, even the hard disk, but nothing comes up to the screen which really pisses me off...
By the way, the screen is fine, and I really don't know what the problem could be?
About the brand and model, let me get back to you on that because I don't have the details of this PC (it's a friend's PC).
Sorry, to answer you in pieces...but I cannot see the BIOS due to problem itself (nothing shows on the screen).
Finally, yes, I have all the CDs for a clean installation.

Thanks for your help.

Please describe the brand and model of computer, or motherboard. Then tell us the age and brand of hard drive if you know.
It sounds as if your hard drive is bad. Does it show up in the BIOS as a detected hard drive when you first boot? If the drive is not detected, it is likely dead.
You might want to try another drive just to see if it spins in that computer. If it works and the old one does not, a drive replacement may be in order.
Do you have a recovery disc set or a copy of windows to run a reformat and reinstall? Do you need to try to save your data first?
I see that a lot of time has gone by so this problem is likely resolved. If so, sorry for the delayed post.

Thanks for your answer, I actually disconnected all the IDE cables and still nothing...
This PCs one hard disk and two CD/DVD drives.
I'm only trying with the hard disk alone (the hard disk is set as master) to see if something comes up on the screen...so far...no luck :cry:

Thanks for your suggestion...

If you have just put this machine together check to be sure that you IDE cabel is installed properly, the two connectors at one end go to the drives, the other goes to the motherboard. If this is reversed it will cause this problem.

Hello there, I actually disconnected all the drives and put them back in again with proper setting...but still nothing.

Thanks for your help.

Hi

Please check and make sure you have the jumpers on the cd-rom set to slave and the jumper on the Hard drive set to master. For each IDE cable (thich flat grey one) you must have a Master and a slave... the system will not run with two masters.

HTH
Darren
South Africa

Hello there, I actually disconnected all the drives and put them back in again with proper setting...but still nothing.

Thanks for your help.

I'm afraid I may have caused some confusion here, I some how managed to post this information in the wrong thread. This information was in answer to a problem of a optical drive not being seen.:o

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.