Create a new thread and post your problem. If you do not know how to do it, ask again.

also agree start you own new thread ,

but what happens if you plug it back in after about 1 i/2 hrs instead of letting it go the full 2hrs .

hii....
iam rohan from ballia pls help me sir will working on laptop the laptop sreen light has gone but giving a presser on my eyes is look every thing on lcd but there is light pls help wat to do

Please help
I have a Toshiba Sattelite c660
I also have a black screen (the laptop powers up fine , green light etc but screen is still black , I tried the 60sec hold/take out battery thing but it didnt work for me screen is still black , any other ideas

My laptop screen kept going black -- all I did to fix the problem was removed the outer (plastic) "rim", surrounding the screen (by unscrewing the tiny screws) and blowing air onto the screen connection down at the bottom. Works like a charm now. (God knows how I managed to get the inside of my screen caked up with crap! - but still.. blowing air did the job) :) hope this helps.

Hi,

I too have a same problem. my HP laptop screen turned black when switched on. When i connected the external monitor, the external monitor works fine.
Reading this thread, i tried the taking battery off, and pressing the power button for 20 min. it worked... but the issue is that this solution works for some days only.. and after that the same problem repeats.

Can anyone explain which component is at fault here.

I can safely say that it is not the lcd screen, as it occassionaly works. that means the screen is perfectly alright.

it is not the motherboard or Graphics card, as the external monitor works fine when connected.

It also cannot be a loose connection, as i have opened my latop and checked every connection.

Am not able to understand which component is really causing this problem. i would like to have a permanent fix to this issue.

Any help in this regard is higly appreciated.

Regards
Rahul

Hi

I have a little difrent problem. My laptop(toshiba 7 year´s old) blacks out 1 sec after I lift up the screen, and then if goes black. If I close it and open it again it works for 1 sec again, and then goes black again. After a restart I could se a check with numbers going up til 5000 and somthing when it stopped. I couldn´t see what els it sayed in the 1 sec or les it shows. But when i connected the pc to the tv, i could emty all important stuf to an external HD. 1 month ago I had the same problem as the others here. And it was resolved by doing the same thing as they did.

The screen of my Toshiba Portege M800 went black last night. There are some signs of the screen however if you really focus, but very dark.

Shall I but a new laptop, or it worths to get the current one fixed? I'm in the UK.

Thanks!

It could be your backlight inverter has failed. That should be a relatively cheap thing to get fixed.

I charge £40 + parts (around £20 for a new inverter) as an example.

If you have a password and you restarted your computer and you have the black screen still, then write in your password. Well for Toshiba you can write in without clicking so it's cool. When you write in the password wait for like 10 minutes then hold your ''Turn On'' button until it turns off. Then hold the button for 5 seconds and your computer will show you its screen and you will have to run a ''Restore Computer'' well it will provide you the option without going in your profile. Once you press Restore wait until it does. Then you will be able to log in and do it without any problems. Trust me ''DIS IS DA BEST'' way to do it. WARNING WARNING this works only if you got a restarted black screen or boot-time scan schedule - don't turn off your laptop or PC when boot-time is scheduled and you restarted your laptop/PC. I hope this is helpful.

try to go in control panel look for the settings for the power, the reason maybe it is set on sleep mode for a couple of minutes you should turn it off that settings.

I have a Toshiba Windows Vista Home Premium. My computer only doesn't get the black screen when it runs on battery alone. I called Toshiba and got so many different things to do and not do, my head spins. My computer works fine(had some blue screen and overheating issues, but that went away. Ditto my screen smudging twice recently) and the computer automatically changed the color scheme to Basic. Is it OK to follow those steps I saw on here where I shut it down, unplug everything and hold down the power button? If not, what should I do?

my toshiba did the same thing and it was the inverter.cost $170 to get fixed.Looked them up on ebay and its a $15 part.

black screen, it may be the problem of your laptop screen cable who'll attached to the motherboard.
check it

this happen with me, i punch the screen from back side and it start working properly

Same me I have problem..switch on and see logo coming up but after that..long time to coming up..no window logo at all..all I can see is ARROW..that it...I try safe mode...same story...then I try many thing to set up...still same story so I try remove the battery And disconnect ac and then press hold 60 second..then back ac without battery....oh god...still same story I can see is ARROW ....still nothing happing....been try resorte no luck.....is it any loose wire..or what?

Any help will be great ....phone to compag...huh..I pay two bill for it and too long hour on talk....bec I pay for phone bill plus text reply too..too much for me.

Pls help..I can't wipe out the hd bec photo inside which important me bec my mob phone was broke but I lucky photo in laptop while I load it from camera but now mob is broken then laptop prob.

Many thank you for ur time to read it..

Thank you

This happend to my Intel HD Graphics card. Your graphic card has failed. I would advise taking your laptop to get a new Graphics Card (or do it yourself)

same problems here >>>>>>>>>>>> con i know how much it will cost me...........

**so recently i installed alot of programs a few months ago about 1-5 or 4 months ago and than it crashed a few months before it crashed my little cousin dropped it on to the floor then it was still alive. but here is the problem, when it crashed it was still working than i decded to delet the programs making it slow. then it was runnning purfectly fine. so i decided to play it for a bit. i turened it of the normal way but going to Start and shutdown. the next day i opend thew laptop and there was no screen but i could hear the laptop fan a nd the lights where on. the screen was completly blank. i went to a guy and he said it was to do with the harddrive i was about to pay 180 pounds to fix it but i didnt(to exopensive). so i tryied the method 5 months later( the hold power button for 20 or 60 second while battery taken out then put it back in and it will work) and it worked. so the next day it was black again so i did the method again and it worked. the next day it was black i did the method and it worked then the next day i tried the method but it failed so for the next 3 days i kept trying but no screen :( i am just sick and tired of tthis problem. pleasehelp me if you have any souloutions that doesnt include paying or the method but if i have to pay then i might asweell
your regars Ashely Moans :(

If I take the battery out and hold on the power button for a few seconds to get my gateway screen to come on, should I leave the cord in or out???
Also the problem with this laptop is I turn the power button on and everything lights up the power button comes on and the little blue light indicating it's charging works. But. The rest of the lights beside the light don't work. The capslock or numlock or the little one that's cylandrical shaped.
We've had the screen in the gateway laptop fixed before because a bulb was burnt out, it worked for a few months then it went out again.? Any suggestions?

i tried taking the battery off, unpluging and holding the power button for 60 secs but it didnt work for me. I also tried to plug a different monitor in and could see a very faint display soem of texts...then it went back to black.
any suggestions on what i should do?
thanks in advance for all your help!

Unplug ... take battery out ... putpower back in... turn on...
Unfortunately, this does not work for my Toshiba. Screen started "going black" three days ago, and when I do the prescribed action, the screen will turn on for 0.5 - 0.75 seconds, then go to the dark mode.

Any suggestions as to what THIS could be? think I might have to take it in to the GeekSquad...

Did a lot of homework for 10 days and got my notebook''s display working.My notebook is ""HP Pavilion 1125DX

Steps I've followed are similar to the ones in HP's support document with a small deviation.

1.Switch on the system

2.Ensure you have not connected any external monitors or devices to the notebook.

3.While system is starting, manually remove the battery

4.Press and hold the power button for 45 to 60 seconds.

5.Attach the laptop battery back and switch on your machine

6.The machine should be back to normal. Display is normal.

** The risk you may be taking is, due to the "hard boot"(removing battery) O.S. files may be damaged and you may end up reinstalling the O.S.(this may be the worst case and better back up the data before following all these steps.)

**1. UNPLUG THE POWER
2. REMOVE BATTERY
3. HOLD POWER BUTTON FOR 30/60 SECONDS
4. REATTACH POWER AND START THE LAPTOP
5. SHUT BACK DOWN
6. PUT IN THE BATTERY

Had to do this a couple of times, but it finally worked! I'm going to save all of my files and things on an external hard drive.. From what I've read, this is a "hint" that something permanant is going to happen soon! Good luck everyone!****

THANKU THANKU THANKU THANKU VERYYYYYYYY MUCH..!!!
I WAS SOOO WORRIED.. I STARTED PRAYING.. SPECIALLY AT THE TIME WHEN I WAS ABOUT TO OPEN MY FAST.. AS AT THE MOMENT IT THE HOLY MONTH OF OURS... RAMADAN..
AND THEN I WENT TO GOOGLE TO FIND THE SOLUTION FOR THE BLACK SCREEN AND I FOUND THIS THREAD.. I TRIED THE WHOLE PROCESS.. AND AFTER REPLUGGING IN THE POWER.. I SWITCHED ON THE LAPTOP.. IT WAS BLACK BUT I LEFT AND AFTER LIKE 15 TO 20 MINUTES I TURNED BACK AND THE SCREEN WAS BACK.. IT WAS ALL BACK TO NORMAL..!!! YUPPPIE
I PRAY FOR ALL THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE POSTED HERE THAT MAY THEIR EVERY PROBLEM BE SOLVED IN SECONDS AS I HAVE JUST EXPERIENCED..!! =D THANKU AGAIN =))

my compaq laptop's screen suddenly turned black!.. i already did unplugging it and took the battery outand held the powerbuttoon for around 60 sec.!! please help me

my laptop was on sleep when i on it the screen was blank but the aptop was started and the battery was being use but nthing happen and for your info my laptop was on charge it dell plzz helpppp me it was my sis

is it a problem of motherheatboard?

hi i have a hp laptop. i ended up shutting down the laptop last night and started it up today and the screen is black but i can still see things. barely but still can see things. i ended up trying to hold down the fn button and move arrow up or down to brighten or dim it but nothing happened. i was wondering, could that be from a burned out backlight or a broken backlight? if so how much would it cost?

hii i also suffered this problem with my toshiba satallite but i solved it..by removing ram and put it again..its work with me i hope its work with you..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.