Today, when I inserted a new DVD-R into my superdrive, it wouldn't mount. It had been working fine an hour before.

There is no problem with CDs, new or previously written to, or DVD-ROMs or DVD-R with data on them.

After trying repairing permissions, using MacJanitor, and trying new DVD-R disks from a few different makers, I made a restart with a new DVD-R in the drive. When the machine booted, there was a message: "You have inserted a disk containing no volumes that MacOSX can read."

My computer is an iBook G4 (2004 vintage), running OSX 10.3.9

I phoned the tech dept. of a local Mac dealer, but no joy.

I reinstalled 10.3.9 and that didn't help.

Any ideas? I am desperate enough to buy Tiger to see if that helps.

If it is a hardware problem, why is it only empty DVD-R disks that are a problem?

Thanks for any help.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

empty DVD´s do not mount.

I'm having the same problem, did you find a solution?

It could be the brand. It's also a possibility that you're using the wrong type of blank DVD (+R instead of -R, or the other way around). If it worked fine before, and now it suddenly doesn't work, I would say your SuperDrive is probably breaking down.

It could be the brand. It's also a possibility that you're using the wrong type of blank DVD (+R instead of -R, or the other way around). If it worked fine before, and now it suddenly doesn't work, I would say your SuperDrive is probably breaking down.

Thanks, the same DVDs worked before, I suspect I need a new optical drive,

J

Thanks, the same DVDs worked before, I suspect I need a new optical drive,

J

I found DaniWeb as I was looking for a solution to this same problem. In my case I was still under warranty (barely) and had the optical drive replaced... problem solved. Even if you can still read and write to CD-Rs and CD-RWs, not being able to write to DVD-Rs is a sign that the optical drive is failing. Replace it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.