Hi, I used to have only one HD in my computer. It was a SATA main HD, a 250GB one, but now I set it as a secondary master because the primary master being a new 160GB one. I did not yet wipe the data on the 250GB HD because I need some of the files copied over to the main HD. So basically I have a version of XP running on my 160GB HD, and another XP still on my 250GB version.

Unfortunately, now that the 160 GB drive is the new master, I cannot seem to access the files in the 250 GB HD for copying over. It keeps saying not accessible. How do I get around this? Is it possible to get around? Is this an NTFS protection issue? Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi, I used to have only one HD in my computer. It was a SATA main HD, a 250GB one, but now I set it as a secondary master because the primary master being a new 160GB one. I did not yet wipe the data on the 250GB HD because I need some of the files copied over to the main HD. So basically I have a version of XP running on my 160GB HD, and another XP still on my 250GB version.

Unfortunately, now that the 160 GB drive is the new master, I cannot seem to access the files in the 250 GB HD for copying over. It keeps saying not accessible. How do I get around this? Is it possible to get around? Is this an NTFS protection issue? Thanks!

Did you have the sata drive connected when you reinstalled the new os on the new hard drive? Is it completly plugged in right now? Is the drive disabled in the bios?

The issue is due to NTFS access permissions. You need to reset the Ntfs access permissions

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.