Thanks in advance to anyone who can lend assistance. I am trying to determine if I have a faulty motherboard. Heres the system I put together.

Intel Pentium 4 640 3.2 GHZ Processor
Intel BOXD955XBKLKR ATX Intel Motherboard
eVGA Geforce 6800GS 256-P2-N386-AX Video Card
CORSAIR 1GB DDR2 Dual Channel RAM

After building the system I attempted to start the pc. The fans move, including the processor and Video Card fans. But nothign appears on the screen. There are NO AUDIBLE BEEPS to alert of ram or other problems. I tried disconnecting all non-essential devices (hard drive etc) but still the same problem. I tried making sure the ram and video cards were seeded properly, but still no luck. I also made sure the monitor worked of course. The power light indicator on the motherboard is lit, but nothing seems to happen. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Will-

Check that the CPU, RAM, and Video card is connected correctly and securely. Did you connect the speaker pins to the motherboard?

You may also want to check for stray screws shorting out the motherboard. This is a fairly common problem with custom-built machines.

All components are securely connected. The motherboard has an onboard speaker so it is not nessesary to connect speaker pins.

No Stray screws either.

I did discover something interesting. The fans in the system will only turn if the CPU power plug is not connected. If connected the pc will not do anything. The fans will start to turn for about a quarter of a second and then nothing. My hunch is a problem with the CPU. Any help with that one?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.