my laptop (hp 630) wont boot up, when i turn it on it just brings a black screen with a cursor blinking in the top left corner. i tried to wait for some hours but nothing happens, i even tried changing the operating system but when it restarts for the final time to finish the installation the same thing happens. what should i do? please help

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

It sounds like you may have a memory, or hard drive problem.

My suggestion would be to download and run a memory test (Memtest86) and run chkdsk to check the hard drive for any errors.

but how am going to run the downloaded memory test, because my laptop wont boot at all.

but how am going to run the downloaded memory test, because my laptop wont boot at all.

MemTest86 is a live testing program, what this means is that it runs directly on the flash drive or CD that it is installed on. It is essentially an operating system, that doesn't get installed onto the computer itself.

commented: Exactly! +8

MemTest86 is a live testing program, what this means is that it runs directly on the flash drive or CD that it is installed on. It is essentially an operating system, that doesn't get installed onto the computer itself.

That's correct but can he boot from any media at all, including USB flash memory?

EDIT: Never mind, he said that the changed the OS.

i have tried them all, it still cant boot even after changing the operating system, could it be a hardware failure? if so what do i do?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.