When trying to power on I can see the fan start but it stops after about 10 seconds and never powers up. I've tried taking the battery out and disconnecting power and holding power button for 30 seconds. It made no difference.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Does the power connector feel a little loose in the socket? If so, you will need to replace or re-solder the power socket's connection to the internal power board or motherboard. You may notice that when you move the power connecter while it is connected to the Laptop that it may power up, or begin to charge the battery.

I have the same story. I turn on my Gateway p-78 and don't see anything on display. I hear the fans and see the lights, but no sound or video. Attaching it to display though HDMI, removing the battery, disconnecting the power and holding the power button for 30 seconds don't do the thing. I tried to turn it on for about 10 times and then it turned on, but the next day it starts all over again.

I have the same story. I turn on my Gateway p-78 and don't see anything on display. I hear the fans and see the lights, but no sound or video. Attaching it to display though HDMI, removing the battery, disconnecting the power and holding the power button for 30 seconds don't do the thing. I tried to turn it on for about 10 times and then it turned on, but the next day it starts all over again.

time to take the laptop in for service

I've tried everything I know and have read to try. I'm thinking the board must just have a short in it. About to give up and trash it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.