Hello.

I have just purchased a Lexar JumpDrive S50 32 gigs and I am having trouble accessing the USB. The USB shows up in the my computer window with a grayed out icon and when I double click it it states "Please insert a drive". The same statement is displayed when I try to format it. I am using a Windows 8 as my main computer, but I have tried it on a windows vista and windows 7.

So far I have tried updating the drivers (through device manager and through Lexar's website). I have also reinstalled the usb drivers. I have tried changing the drive letter assigned. I have also changing usb ports and wiggling the usb in hopes that it is just a contact problem. None of the above worked. What else may be causing this problems, and what are possible solutions?

Thank you for your help.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

format the drive ?
maybe, dunno

I have tried formatting the drive, but since it detects that there is no usb drive inserted (it only detects that something is inserted) I can't. It gives me the please insert a USB Drive message when I try.

Seeing as it's new, get it replaced.

That is what I will end up doing if I can't figure out what the problem is.

Any other suggestions?

possibly unrelated, possibly related
been playing with hardware
I get that error message and icons
when I plug in a card reader with no card.
or a microsd adaptor with no sdcard
the hardware seems unable to access its internal circuits
Its Dead I think

also there was a windows format driver for >4GB cards, for xp, I assumed vista & higher had exfat support built in
but http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=19364 may help

Current Windows systems (7 & 8) sometimes seem to lose the ability to recognize USB drives. You can try to remove all of the USB devices from the Device Management control panel and then rebooting. That will re-install the devices, and it has worked for me an others that I have advised to do this with the same problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.