I have a sony vaio with windows XP. I cleaned my computer. then started it up and it did start- first the vaio logo pops up then it actually went to the user screen for windows then it was trying to load a program that deletes junk files- so it was scanning - like a virus scan. then it froze.

I shut down and now when i try to start it only shows the vaio logo and the fans are running for a bit then they shut down then sometimes go back on. BUT Windows fails to boot and it is a darkened screen.

oh yah when i press f8 nothing happens. My dvd/cd rom drive does not work from an unrelated problem so I cannot use a reboot disk.

any help? thanks:eek:

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I have a sony vaio with windows XP. I cleaned my computer. then started it up and it did start- first the vaio logo pops up then it actually went to the user screen for windows then it was trying to load a program that deletes junk files- so it was scanning - like a virus scan. then it froze.

I shut down and now when i try to start it only shows the vaio logo and the fans are running for a bit then they shut down then sometimes go back on. BUT Windows fails to boot and it is a darkened screen.

oh yah when i press f8 nothing happens. My dvd/cd rom drive does not work from an unrelated problem so I cannot use a reboot disk.

any help? thanks:eek:

Update: I can now get into the F5 panel where I can choose safe mode etc but when i choose say change to previous known good state whtever the windows logo comes up but faintly and it just freezes. Got to be a registry or corrupted file somewhere. But my cd rom drive wont work so I can load a sytem restore etc. Anything I can do in the F5 screen?

My dvd/cd rom drive does not work from an unrelated problem so I cannot use a reboot disk.

Is this something prior to your windows problem or you didn't manage to boot form CD?

If your DVD drive is busted...you will have to get a new one in order to resurrect your system.

If your lense is dirty, there are lense cleaner CD's that can help you. Do not use Phillips CD lense cleaner or others like it (brush is in the middle part of the disc, needs to be read and select track 14 or something), but there are CD's that all you need is to put it in and let it spin (brush is on the inner-most area of the CD). Don't even need any OS. Just power. Some even have replaceable brushes and come with spare one.

the drive is completely busted- a new drive would be about $350. so that is out of the question.

$350 sounds way too much. I guess desktops have their charm (paid ~$50 mine Pioneer 110D burns it all). Maybe there is a PCMCIA way to boot your laptop?

yah laptops are smaller - anything smaller you pay more money for- like a portable external hard drive costs more than a bigger one. The lighter and amaller a laptop the more expensive. I could get a whole desktop for $350. Aopen or something like that but i woudlnt get what i want and its a waste and would just be consumerism at its worst. beside the OS just wont boot there has got to be a way.

I got Windows to boot in safe mode with command prompt but I dont know what to do next.

I also have an external hard drive that I put all the recovery disk on but how would i get in there?

There are cheap IDE - USB drive casings that can transfer, say Pioneer 110D to an USB DVD drive. I think that is the cheapest way to boot your system.

Moved to Dead Machines forum.

I believe it has to be an internal drive connected directly to the mother board to reboot from a disk drive. Actually I just ended up buying a new dvd drive- it is not the original so I had to jerry-rig the face plate but it was about $100 and a better drive than the original. Then i just booted the restore disk and it all works like a new computer of course.

That's a good news.

Sorry for the doe, though.

P.S. Nowdays an USB - option is a regualer thing in drive boot selection.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.