OK, I have a Compaq Presario 1255 laptop that had a loose power connector. I soldered in a new connector (I'm experienced at doing this).

It now powers up and passes the Compaq diagnostics utility. But, it doesn't recognize the hard drive. It sees and reads from the CD-ROM so I'm pretty sure the IDE interface is OK (i.e., I didn't fry something while soldering).

The BIOS doesn't allow for much manipulation of the CMOS. But, it shows there is 'none' under Primary IDE. The CD-ROM shows up under the Secondary IDE device heading.

I have tried 2 separate hard drives (one is the factory original). Neiter is recognized. They both are recognized when I place them in a 2.5" drive USB enclosure and attach them to another computer. This shows me the drives are formatted OK and not corrupted.

I even can run the Windows XP Update Setup CD and get the laptop to recognize one of the 2.5" hard drives if it is connected via the USB port and in the 2.5" drive enclosure.

I'd like to get this computer back up and running. Ay ideas? I can pull the motherboard and recheck the power traces but pulling it is a hassle. I'd like to get ideas here first.

TIA,

Paul.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Considering that the last thing to happen to the machine before it failed is that it was disassembled, logic would dictate that you crawl back inside the beast and double-check all components and their connections. :(

Considering that the last thing to happen to the machine before it failed is that it was disassembled, logic would dictate that you crawl back inside the beast and double-check all components and their connections. :(

I had a feeling this would be the response. I have in fact done a partial disassembly....keyboard and touchpad/wrist rest off. From the top view all looks well connected. I even evaluated the IDE cable and reseated it....still no change.

Any other ideas?? I'll pull the entire MB and re assemble from scratch just to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Paul.

I dismantled the entire laptop again and reassembled. It looked like it was initially all together properly. I did check that there was continuity between the 5V line on the AC power connector and pins 41 and 42 of the 44-pin IDE motherboard connector for the 2.5" hard drive. These pins carry the 5V signal.

I put everything together.

It passes POST. In the BIOS setup it still shows no device under "Primary Master". It does show the CD-ROM under the "Secondary Master".

I know the CD drive works. Could my IDE controller not be working JUST at the hard drive connector?

This is getting me frustrated. I wanted to use this laptop for my car diagnostics...and to hook up my serial-to-GPS connection.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Paul.

Could my IDE controller not be working JUST at the hard drive connector?

The only way I could see that happening would be if you had a cold solder joint right at the HDD IDE connector. Pretty unlikely, but it is possible.

The BIOS doesn't allow for much manipulation of the CMOS. But, it shows there is 'none' under Primary IDE.

If the setting for the Primary device is adjustable, set it to "Auto" instead of "None", save the new configuration, and reboot.

If the setting for the Primary device is adjustable, set it to "Auto" instead of "None", save the new configuration, and reboot.

Unfortunately, it isn't adjustable. It tells me what it has detected. The 'none' designates that the IDE bus is not finding the hard drive.:sad:

Paul.

*bump*....any thoughts?

Paul.

Hello there,

If you didn't had any luck with this try removing the cd-rom. both devices (hd/cdrom) might be at CS and your cd-rom might be blocking the HD. If it does not see it try looking for jumpers on your hard drive and set it to master and then CS. It shou be working fine but it looks like a bios problem.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.