can anyone get this working. :mad: aol are giving out these new modems but ive yet to get it working. maybe im dong something wrong and if youve got it working please say so!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

I received mine 2 days ago as a replacement from AOL for my useless Voyager 105. This was a straight forward installation, I just followed the installation disk. have you full removed any previously installed drivers?
I have been on line now for 48 hours without a single disconnection.

i got it working it just wouldnt work with windows 64 even tho i was told it would.does comcast cost 25 pounds and is it available everywhere?comcast sounds good i i can get it cheap

i don't know how many pounds, but it costs $30 here for high speed. it might be available where ever you are.

can anyone get this working. :mad: aol are giving out these new modems but ive yet to get it working. maybe im dong something wrong and if youve got it working please say so!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

i think it needs the disk, i already have the voyager 205, and by going to 192.168.1.1 it brings up voyager 205 configeration page, as i dont want aol software on my laptop, do any of you guys know how to do the same on the 190?? cheers, darren:?:

i think it needs the disk, i already have the voyager 205, and by going to 192.168.1.1 it brings up voyager 205 configeration page, as i dont want aol software on my laptop, do any of you guys know how to do the same on the 190?? cheers, darren:?:

I've just bought one of the AOL packages off ebay with a view to using the 190 modem in place of my Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange USB modem, it's the old flat green one. It's ethernet of course so not a direct swap. Orange tech by email have been friendly even though I mentioned AOL but they couldn't help with getting a non AOL driver. Did give me some numbers, most of which are over my head. They are - VPI=0, VCI=38, PPPoA, Authentification= CHAP, Modulation method= Multi-mode, Encapsulation= VCMUX, Primary DNS= 195.92.195.94 Secondry DNS= 195.92.195.95
Maybe these might be useful. If anyone has changed from USB to ethernet without using a router, i.e. direct swap I'd be interested in the method.
Good luck
Derek
1st post!

I've just bought one of the AOL packages off ebay with a view to using the 190 modem in place of my Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange USB modem, it's the old flat green one. It's ethernet of course so not a direct swap. Orange tech by email have been friendly even though I mentioned AOL but they couldn't help with getting a non AOL driver. Did give me some numbers, most of which are over my head. They are - VPI=0, VCI=38, PPPoA, Authentification= CHAP, Modulation method= Multi-mode, Encapsulation= VCMUX, Primary DNS= 195.92.195.94 Secondry DNS= 195.92.195.95
Maybe these might be useful. If anyone has changed from USB to ethernet without using a router, i.e. direct swap I'd be interested in the method.
Good luck
Derek
1st post!

it works just not with windows 64 as of yet. just install the lan driver you get with your motherboard then install aol cd.

it works just not with windows 64 as of yet. just install the lan driver you get with your motherboard then install aol cd.

I'm not with AOL, I'm with Orange. Loathe to use their set-up CD as I don't want a load of AOL stuff mixed up with my own Broadband. I expect that the AOL CD will have the ethernet driver full integrated with their software. This is why I want the generic driver for the 190. I assume that will allow me to use it instead of my Speedtouch USB modem. Am I on the wrong track here?
I'm XP SP2. I can enable my LAN connection OK but have no need of a network.
Derek :-|

How did you get the voyager 190 to work? I am wanting to use mine to replace the voyager 105 usb modem i have now.
I am trying to get it connected via ethernet, but dont know if this connects using aol dialler, and i want to use broadband.
Any help you can give me here would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

John

BT Voyager 190 Unlocked Firmware

Hi

With a little help from this site
http://corz.org/comms/hardware/router/other.bt.voyager.routers.php?page=all
I have made a modified firmware to be able to be uploaded to the BT Voyager 190 and be completely unlocked and used on any ISP. It also provides a huge amount of configuration options via the web based console. For a copy please go here
http://www.jas0r.com/downloads/BT_Voyager_190_fw.bin

Upload it by using the upload built into the routers home page.

Your input sounds very interesting as I have recently upgraded to AOL/BB but unfortunately my V190 does not work with Kubuntu/Linux. Before I take the plunge I would like to hear from somebody who has "fixed" a V190 without problems. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi

I have made a modified firmware to be able to be uploaded to the BT Voyager 190 and be completely unlocked and used on any ISP. It also provides a huge amount of configuration options via the web based console. For a copy please go here

No known program will open the file (Binary Data File) from your link. Please advise procedure to fix V190.

Your input sounds very interesting as I have recently upgraded to AOL/BB but unfortunately my V190 does not work with Kubuntu/Linux. Before I take the plunge I would like to hear from somebody who has "fixed" a V190 without problems. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Two days ago I joined this supposedly popular forum hoping that my query would attract some input. Very disappointed that I haven't received any help whatsoever.:sad:

Two days ago I joined this supposedly popular forum hoping that my query would attract some input. Very disappointed that I haven't received any help whatsoever.:sad:

its not your fault mate nor that of daniweb, the bt voyager 190 is just a very badly designed modem, the best voyager modem would be the 205, which offers cat.5e ethernet and usb 1.1.

dazza :cool:

its not your fault mate nor that of daniweb, the bt voyager 190 is just a very badly designed modem, the best voyager modem would be the 205, which offers cat.5e ethernet and usb 1.1.

dazza :cool:

Thanks for replying Dazza! I wouldn't call it "a very badly designed modem", it's an ethernet modem to be used with AOL/BB only. I have been running it for almost 2 months with no problems whatsoever, solid as a rock. My initial post was in response to the person who claims to have found a fix to decode the V190 so that it can be used with other software besides AOL. So far, nobody seems to have tried to alter the firmware and I am hesitant to fiddle with it without hearing from other people who have successfully "fixed it". Regards and Happy Christmas!

Thanks for replying Dazza! I wouldn't call it "a very badly designed modem", it's an ethernet modem to be used with AOL/BB only. I have been running it for almost 2 months with no problems whatsoever, solid as a rock. My initial post was in response to the person who claims to have found a fix to decode the V190 so that it can be used with other software besides AOL. So far, nobody seems to have tried to alter the firmware and I am hesitant to fiddle with it without hearing from other people who have successfully "fixed it". Regards and Happy Christmas!

put the firmware on my 190 last month works fine. loads of new options and works like a great router now (with a switch)

Hi, Happy New Year. Modem = BT Voyager 190; OS = Windows
XP SP2; Broadband package = AOL Silver - using AOL9;
Firewall = Mc Afee Personal Firewall Plus; Antivirus =
AVG Free 7.5. In Addition to allowing ping.exe and the
other 2 files, in the AOL9 setup proceedure. check the
troubleshooting.txt file on the CD. Also ping6.exe,
ipv6.exe and tracert6.exe. I have a sneaking suspicion
there cud b more, u know the little background 1s, that
if u don't allow 'em, ur stumped. So if anybody has a
complete list of SAFE allowable files, I'm sure it wud
benefit the whole community. I'm still getting
disconnected occaisionally. I know of others who R2, a
friend who is on AOL Platinum, still has problems, so U
R not alone. 1 More thing B4 go, can any1 tell me in
PLAIN ENGLISH, why, when my modem is capable of speeds
up2 1Mb/s, the maximum i can get is 245kb/s - this when
downloading official demos from websites, within a few
seconds it goes down 2 an average of about 120kbs,
sometimes its as low as 8kbs. I have been told that the
more users, that log on more servers go online 2 cope,
there4 supposedly speeding things up, so what's happend
2 my speed. If a website can start a dl (that's download)
at 245kbs, Y can't they keep it at 245Kbs?
Cheers :-)

Hi, I just installed that new firmware onto my Voyager 190 (still using AOL UK), and now the Internet light on the modem won't light. I've tried logging in using the method described, but it just times out; and I can't even find the default firmware anywhere to reset it back to factory settings. Any help? :(

Not sure What u mean by firmware - do you mean the latest updates from aol? If so, there is an option to,

What version of AOL are you using I am on AOL 9.0. Not sure What u mean by firmware - do you mean the latest updates from aol? If so, there is an option to, load the orignal drivers, in the AOL One-click fixes. Failing that. Retry loading your Original CD. I am on AOL UK. The first bt voyager 190 I got from aol had a dodgy power connection, and kept cutting out. Although I got a replacement. The power connection seems to be ok now. but I still keep getting cut off, I am on the silver option, But I have a friend who is on the platinum option with a different modem but he seems to get cut of quite often too.
quote]

Sorry for the n00b zombification, but I just used the firmware provided by Jas0r on page 1 and it seems to work nicely.

Like chrisofdoom, I thought it had hosed the modem at first. It seems to use a different IP address than the AOL firmware - maybe why it timed out when you tried connecting to it. Try http://192.168.0.1/ or http://192.168.1.1/ (depending on whether you have other routers hooked up).

When you find the modem's IP, type it into your browser and it'll ask you for a Username and Password. After a bit of Googling I found it was "admin" for both. Enter these et voila!!

My previously useless AOL-supplied modem is now actually a competent piece of equipment!

Anyway, just thought I'd share in case anyone else (like me) stumbles across this thread and encounters the same problems.

Cheers.

Hi

Jas0r,
Thanks for the formware link - I've now uploaded the firmware to my 190 modem.
Please advise the default login userid and password so I can re-congure the unit

Thx - peter_atkins@dsl.pipex.com

Try "admin" (without quotes) for both username and password. I believe this worked for me, per my earlier post. That said though, my 190 has long since been confined to the loft...

Thank you - as it happens I had already discovered this by reviewing the threads, but missed the answer on my 1st attempt.

Much appreciate your swift response though.

Peter Atkins

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.