I'm building a destkop and working somewhat on a budget. I have came down to 2 CPUS that I can choose from. I need to know which one of these CPU's would perform better and faster. The AMD APU A8 - 7600 or the Intel i3 - 4160? The AMD has more cores but on certain websites I see that they say that the Intel out performs the AMD. This to me is very strange as the AMD has more cores.

Also, if I buy an AMD FX processor, do I need to buy a GPU for displaying my screen, because I dont see that the FX has graphics. Correct me on this if I'm wrong.

NOTE: I'm mainly going to use this computer for computing numbers, working out mathmatical stuff and do a lot of intesive encrypting and decrypting of my network data etc... Not really graphics at all.

I prefer Intel than AMD and suggest you too.

Let me rather rephrase the question:

For heavy number crunching, which is better, AMD or Intel?

get the a8 .. its not noticably slower than the i3 in general computing but is noticably better in anything graphical .. n plz pair it with 1866 Mhz ram as integrated gfx of amd will use system ram ..

I3

intel is better for performance, but AMD is better for graphical performance. I prefer INTEL but I love AMD :D

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.